Help!

Decorating By wendydou Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm by apetricek

wendydou Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a sand castle cake for someone next week. I am planning on making it Thursday night for a Friday pickup - party is Saturday..

My question is - I was planning on a buttercream base and crushed vanilla oreos for the sand - will the crushed oreos get stale or get soggy after sitting for so long???

Thanks
Wendy

4 replies
mcdonald Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 5

I would think if your buttercream crusts then the cookie won't get in there and get soft. Also, you might want to cover it as well. Have you thought of using crushed up graham crackers for the sand??? I have used that before and have never had a problem

saj_stuff Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 5

I'm assuming since you want a "sand" castle, that you'll be sticking the sand to your buttercream...right? I'm not sure about anything getting "soggy", but food processed nilla wafers make great sand too. Maybe what you could do would be to use several sand ideas, nilla wafers, brown sugar, graham crackers, etc. and mix it up for realism....then if one thing got soggy, maybe something else wouldn't. Just my two cents. Good luck!

cupcakemkr Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 5

I know that on tuesday I made an oreo butter cream for cupcakes and on wednesday night the cookie bits in the frosting were still cruchy. I stored my cc's in the fridge overnight, not sure if that makes a difference.

apetricek Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 5

I always use graham crackers, and have never had a problem..plus they taste yummy with buttercream. The brown sugar will make your icing that much sweeter, and sometimes gets yucky...hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%