Stems In General-Help!

Decorating By KTcakes Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm by cakequeen50

KTcakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 3

I have 20 calla lilies made for a wedding on Aug. 2. I am happy with the flowers, but do not know how to finish the stems. Most of the stems will be showing so I want them to look good. Any ideas? They are currently on floral wire, but something else obviously needs to be done! Thanks!

(The pic looks a little odd, I currently have all the flowers hanging from a lamp as we are in the process moving and I think that is the only space left! The pic is actually upside-down.)
LL

2 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 3

Nick Lodge (and I believe Jennifer Dontz) sells a green plastic flexible tubing for calla stems. It's very cheap and looks quite realistic (he gets it from a Japanese supplier of parts for silk flowers). I can't find it on his website, but if you call, they're very helpful.

internationalsugarart.com

Other options (but not quite as "clean" looking): add 2 more wires (maybe 18 gauge) to each stem & wrap with more green floral tape; add 2 more wires to each stem and attempt to cover with some green fondant or gum paste

HTH
Rae

cakequeen50 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 3

Nick Lodge teaches using the artificial calla stems. They come in a couple of sizes and look awesome.
I would definitely go that route!
Of course it depends on how soon you need them!

You could always go to home depot and get clear hosing, it comes really small and spray paint it, as long as it doesn't go into the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%