Vent - Not Sure If I'm Feeling My New Website...

Business By mom42ws Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 5:06pm by pinklesley1

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 7

and it hasn't even launched yet. i think i needed some time to sit on it awhile and let it grow on me. now, just before the launch date and too late to do anything about it, i'm really not sure that i like it, or at least certain aspects of it.

at first i loved it and was happy but it's been maybe 4 weeks since i approved the design and each time i go back and look at it one thing pops into my mind: ice cream shop. i like the color combinations but i think it lacks a little sophistication. i had wanted it to be cutsie and fun and whimsy and all that but i'm not sure if it does that in a way i like.

my graphic designer is about to leave the country for 3 months and isn't taking on any more projects and i don't really have the money to put towards some redesign. i'm afraid to say anything to her or my husband because i spent so much. it just seems typical of me to be reconsidering after it's already too late. feeling a bit bummed. oh, and i should say that my graphic designer was great and did everything i asked.

ashley

6 replies
marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 7

Just take the 3 months that your graphic designer is out of town to see how the public views your website - it may take a few months to really get going anyway! If you really don't like it after 3 months, talk to the designer to see if you can do any tweaks...background colour changes, font changes that might not be as expensive? But honestly, you should give it time! At least for now, your name is getting "out there" - you can make changes later!

mom42ws Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 7

thanks marmalade. they've already taken my site down and put up a coming soon page. now i won't have a site at all for 1 week. that seems like a long time.

ashley

marmalade1687 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 7

Does that mean that the designer is making the changes now for you? That's great that they are able to accommodate you! Be patient - good things come to those who wait! Or so my mom always told me when I was biting at the bit for something to happen!

But do remember that once your site is up that it may take a while for hits to start coming (and more importantly, orders icon_biggrin.gif !!) I had my site up for a good six months before things really got hopping...now 90% of my business is through my website - I even get inquiries from brides all over the world coming to Ottawa to get married looking for cakes!

Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Nicole

mom42ws Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 7

that's awesome that your site draws in so many people! i'm hoping to get that way too. right now i average about 2-4 orders a week but would like to start doing larger orders and do fewer.

ashley

marmalade1687 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 7

That where I was 6 years ago when I started out...my first winter I had a stretch where I had 3 months without an order. Then wedding season started, brides started searching online for bakers, and I started getting calls! No worries...the business will come...just give it time (and hand out business cards with your website address on everywhere you go!). One other suggestion...there are a lot of websites that offer reciprocal links (you put a link to our site on your website, and we will do the same for free)...I found many sites that I could do this either around my geographical area, or businesses in the wedding industry in and around my city - it just helps to get your website noticed a little more.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 7

i have had my site for about 6 months and now i can tell you is when i start to see the results . i did my site myself and i am constantly changing, updating and rearranging stuff... it drives me nuts sometimes, but when someone complements me on it ... i feel good. simple & sweet... give it time you will reap the rewards soon...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%