Booked Cake, Now I Want To Reduce The Size....what To Say

Business By acookieobsession Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 5:24pm by CoutureCake

acookieobsession Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:32am
post #1 of 7

Here's another question about those far out booking brides.

What is your policy on changing the size of the cake from large to small? I understand that it makes sense to let them add a tier or whatever they want. But what is they book a cake for 200 today and then 6mos from now realize now (gasp) that in fact, not all 200 of the people they invited are coming. So now they want a cake for 150 or 100.

What if I had turned down orders because their cake was so big, and now what am i to do. If I set a certain revenue I have to make each week, i am pretty much stuck if that happens.

So what do you tell them? I have talked about Debi's 60% rule, I even have it on my flier I give them. But they all seem to have stars in their eyes and cotton balls in their ears.

Thanks

Julia

6 replies
marmalade1687 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 7

I do let brides make changes to the order up to one month before the wedding date - rsvp numbers do change, and they can't know final numbers a year in advance. We re-adjust the final balance to reflect the new total. I find that it does work out though...for the number of brides that reduce their cakes, I get the same that increase! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 7

I allow them to reduce. I find it funny that caterers (bakers, too?) require a final headcount 4 or 6 weeks prior to the event and don't allow reductions .... but knowing that RSVP's just are not back that soon. It's like the bride is being set up to order more than she may need.

I'm basically a lazy person ... if I don't have to work that hard, I don't want to. icon_biggrin.gif

I like to have everything finalized 3 weeks prior. But where would you draw the line? Odds of me getting another wedding or booking inside that 3 week window is pretty slim. But you can't require a locked-in headcount 6 months prior, can you? How unreasonable is that?

If I get changes, it's usually only about 25, give or take. But changes at all are pretty rare. And I like to think it's because I work with them at the beginning to get control of their headcount.

I can recall only one wedding that had a significant headcount reduction (and I was SO glad!!!). She said, "We should have listened to you and your 60% Rule, because that's what it's coming down to!" (told ya!! icon_biggrin.gif ) It saved the bride over $800. But in the vein of "you do right by folks and folks will do right by you", this bride split the difference and tipped my staff $400 .... they each earned the $60 I paid them for the day PLUS a $200 tip each.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 7

I have no problems letting them add cake but they can not take servings away. I don't require a final count until 3 weeks prior to the event so brides that are booking pretty far out just pay a "hold the date" fee...$100. And if they say they are expecting 200 people I write the contract for 100 so they can always add more if needed.

snarkybaker Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #5 of 7

We're super easy to deal with. I let brides change almost anything up to 10 days before the wedding.

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

We're super easy to deal with. I let brides change almost anything up to 10 days before the wedding.

us too. I tell them I LIKE to have everything locked down by 3 weeks, but their absolute drop dead date for changes is 5 days prior. "At 5 days, whatever I've got written down is what you're getting!"

CoutureCake Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 7

I had a good reply typed out, then the computer ate it ARGH!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

The jist was... The best thing you can do is to plan ahead that most brides lower their cake count. Very rarely do they increase it. By planning for this stuff it makes it a non-issue when it happens to the point that you just roll with it instead of fretting about it. Also, you can work it to your advantage in a lot of ways (when doing the consult, you can point out that if the guest list goes down you'll adjust accordingly and that she'll find herself with money leftover for her budget instead of having to add to it.

The biggest thing is, you've got to remember that a Duncan Hines Dollup for 400 is going to take FAR less decorating time than a design ala Margaret Braun for 100. It's not like you're doing your egg purchase a month ahead of the wedding, and most brides tend to keep their cake design relatively ballparked around the same budgeted amount.

There's only one cake I've ever done that the design was SO super complex that I told the bride even though her count was going to be 30 guests lower than the intial quote, there's so much work to the cake I can't go down... She completely understood (especially since I was already $400-9 cheaper than her next nearest quotes - and it was the most expensive cake I'd ever quoted already!)...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%