Which Do You Prefer?

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 4:50am by JoAnnB

oceanspitfire Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:24am
post #1 of 6

I'm making over 100 gerbera daisies to put on cupcakes for my sister's wedding cake/cupcake tower end of August. I've been doing all this reading on gumpaste instructions, how tos etc. So I've worked with fondant and MMF before but not gumpaste yet. My understanding is it dries harder and makes the flowers more realistic. Now here's the downside, the taste. So I have a few issues and questions. If you were putting a single gerbera daisy on a cupcake (times 100) for a wedding, would you suggest making it some kind of fondant recipe so it's edible as in tasty (I mean you can't really announce or have the bride and groom announce that the flowers on their cupcakes aren't tasty, right? lol) or out of gumpaste so it dries harder and is more realistic looking? What are the pros and cons of each? Which do you normally use for weddings? Do those of you who have put flowers on cupcakes in large quantities have experience with people just assumingly not eating the flowers, or eating them and going blech?
The other (more important) thing I have to take into consideration is that I'm traveling by plane- and while I'm making the actual cupcakes/cake when I get there, I'm making the daisies here and transporting them (carry-on) onto the plane- presumably in something like shoeboxes well wrapped in tissue or something to keep from breaking (unless anyone has any other ideas- lol)

So what to do? I don't want to have to walk around at the wedding and inform people not to eat the daisies lol. How does this get dealt with normally? Will fondant flowers be as transportable/unbreakable by plane? I will make extra obviously to allow for breakage en route, but I won't have the time to make the daisies when I get off the plane before the wedding.
Any of these questions answered would be utterly helpful.
TIA

Karen

5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:35am
post #2 of 6

I would use fondant. they will be stronger and taste better.

It won't be necessary to make a botanically correct flower for a cupcake, even if it is a wedding. I have made them using fondant and they look terrific.

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #3 of 6

I wouldn't use gumpaste because people can't eat it...not just the taste but it dries rock hard. Fondant will get hard enough for what you're doing.

Shola Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #4 of 6

I think if you use fondant with just a smidge of gumpaste in it, they would still taste nice and you would get just that little bit more control to make them more realistic, the gumpaste will just allow you to roll the petals a bit thinner but they won't dry super hard icon_smile.gif
HTH's

oceanspitfire Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #5 of 6

So I guess it remains to ask which recipe I should use then? I've been happy using the MMF recipe and Toba's fondant recipe here- but how do they do for rolling really thin to daisies? Or do you have another recipe that is your fave?
I was looking at your website and are the flowers on the Lavender Cheesecake in the gallery fondant? They are gorgeous! But they are so thin- will that hold up on a plane trip? lol Thanks for your input, by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

I would use fondant. they will be stronger and taste better.

It won't be necessary to make a botanically correct flower for a cupcake, even if it is a wedding. I have made them using fondant and they look terrific.

JoAnnB Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:50am
post #6 of 6

Thanks, but the daisies are real. Either recipe will work fine for daisies.

If you have some gumtex or tylose (used to make gumpaste) I would add about 1 tsp of the powder to a pound of fondant to make something closer to gumpaste, but still tasting good.

If you are coloring the daisies, you can also add vanilla to the fondant for additional flavor (use is as part of the liquid so the fondant won't be too wet.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%