Transporting Cakes...cooler Or What????

Decorating By JavaJunkieChrissy Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm by Wendoger

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:18am
post #1 of 10

Hello all,

Most of my cakes are picked up. I have an upcoming tier cake that will be taking an hour ride to it's destination. With the heat and all I thought that I better figure out a way to keep the cake cool.

All of the tiers are round. Fourteen inches is the largest. I am trying to figure out a safe way...maybe coolers????

I'm lost and need suggestions on how to transport cakes and keep them cool at the same time. Of course my van has AC but that doesn't help much when the sun comes in the windows.

TIA,

Chrissy

9 replies
leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #2 of 10

My windows are tinted, but other than that I don't do anything. I don't even box them. Maybe those window shades for car windows?

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 10

I have tinted windows too but I'm still worried about the cake icing as it's going to be done in IMBC with black details and I don't want anything bleeding.

Can ANYONE help me out on this one???

phoufer Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 10

I once had to transport wedding cake two hours to a location. I didn't have it assembled yet, I put cake in boxes wrapped in plastic garbage bags and filled a recycling box with dry ice and sat them on top. Worked really well.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 10

A cooler sounds like a great idea! You could get a few of the reusable ice packs and place them in the bottom if you wanted to help it stay cool.

leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 10

Tinted windows and full blast air conditioning should be fine. However, I'm not an IMBC expert. I used it in school, but I don't use it in "real life."

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 10

I don't even refrigerate my cakes to start with, so putting them in a cooler for transport has never even crossed my mind. I put them in my delivery van, small ones in boxes (maybe) and all non-boxed ones are loosely covered in saran. I don't pre-cool the van either. Open the doors, insert cake, climb in the cab, turn on key, flip on air, drive down road. (The air is pretty much for my comfort and not so much for the cakes anyway. icon_rolleyes.gif )

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieChrissy

I have tinted windows too but I'm still worried about the cake icing as it's going to be done in IMBC with black details and I don't want anything bleeding.

Can ANYONE help me out on this one???

You are getting good advice from people who have transported probably hundreds of cakes (including me)....turn up the a/c in your van.

leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 10

Although I always have good intentions of precooling the SUV, what happens in reality is what Indy said. Throw (well you know what I mean) the cakes in the back, jump in , turn the air on and go.

Wendoger Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 10

Cover your windows on the inside and crank the AC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%