How Do You Answer, 'have You Done This Before...'??

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:40am by iamlis

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #1 of 13

I do an open house twice a year and I have a problem answering this question... Have you ever...??

I had one girl ask me 2 open houses ago, 'have you ever made pears to put on a cake?' I said, 'no, but I've sculpted many other things with great success, and with the simple design of a pear, it wouldn't be a problem at all' she said, 'so you've never made a pear though' me 'no' and she never called.

Then I had a phone call the other day, 'i want sea creatures on my cake, can you do that?' me, 'absolutely' caller,' but I'm looking on your website right now and I don't see that you've ever done sea creatures, am I missing something?' me, 'well you can see in my wedding cake section I have painted fish onto cakes, in the grooms cake section you can see I've sculpted many different designs' caller, 'but no sea creatures?' me, 'no' and she never called back!!

these are just 2 I remember clearly, but I've had many others. I just have not done every single thing ever! But I'm pretty talented and will make sure it works before your wedding day.

I have another open house coming up, and frankly, I just don't know the right answer! Should I never say no? I can't lie to people... Should I just be happy that other people get that I can do new and exciting things and forget about the 'have you ever...' people?

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:22am
post #2 of 13

Here's how I answer that:

"Cake decorating is like any other craft ... sewing, crocheting, knitting, etc. Once you master the craft, you can follow any pattern. If I can knit, I can make you ANY sweater you want, even if I've never made it before ... I just have to get the pattern. The photo album of cakes I've done shows you that I've mastered the craft. The photos you see on the internet and in magazines are my patterns that I follow. now ... What pattern were you wanting me to follow for you?"

I've used this a number of times and it always shuts 'em up .... uh, I mean satisfies their curiosity. icon_rolleyes.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 13

I'm going to come hug you one day Debi!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:29am
post #4 of 13

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Honestly Indy, you have the BEST answers! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:32am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I'm going to come hug you one day Debi!

I did better than that -- I got to have lunch with her!! icon_biggrin.gif Of course she paid... icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Here's how I answer that:

"Cake decorating is like any other craft ... sewing, crocheting, knitting, etc. Once you master the craft, you can follow any pattern. If I can knit, I can make you ANY sweater you want, even if I've never made it before ... I just have to get the pattern. The photo album of cakes I've done shows you that I've mastered the craft. The photos you see on the internet and in magazines are my patterns that I follow. now ... What pattern were you wanting me to follow for you?"

I've used this a number of times and it always shuts 'em up .... uh, I mean satisfies their curiosity. icon_rolleyes.gif

Is it o.k. if I steal this quote from you LOL icon_cool.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Honestly Indy, you have the BEST answers! icon_biggrin.gif

I agree 100% Sensible, hilarious and "spot-on" every time.

In the past few months since joining Cake Central she has become one of my heroes (heroines!).

So much that I just nominated her for a Spotlight....let's start a campaign!

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #8 of 13

I nominated her too! I don't get on here to post much but I read a lot and her posts always stand out to me because of her helpfulness and humor!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #9 of 13

I agree what a great way to put it! Your cakes are all so wonderful so I think she's right, what couldn't you do with all your experience. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:09am
post #10 of 13

Ah geesh, guys! icon_redface.gif I've just had more years to master the art of bullsh*t than you have! icon_biggrin.gif

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ah geesh, guys! icon_redface.gif I've just had more years to master the art of bullsh*t than you have! icon_biggrin.gif

LMAO----ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I agree 100% Sensible, hilarious and "spot-on" every time.

In the past few months since joining Cake Central she has become one of my heroes (heroines!).

So much that I just nominated her for a Spotlight....let's start a campaign!

I agree, Let's nominate Indydebi!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #13 of 13

She's got my vote! There ae so many people I have noticed that are on their own soap boxes-preaching or putting down other people I have stayed away for a while-to me sugar art is about sharing, and fun! Not mean and bossy-THIS is why I love IndyDebi-she never waivers and her advice has saved me more times than I care to admit! SHE is what it means to be a leader in our industry! She is amazing, and not self serving-or trying to squash everyone under her feet. I LOVE INDYDEBI!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%