Two Tiered Cake Assembling Question-----Quick!!

Decorating By HipnotiqGlamour Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 1:12am by HipnotiqGlamour

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #1 of 6

I am making my first two tiered cake for the custodians at my job. I was wondering how would I stack it? Does it need dowels since its only two tiers? Can I used cardboard cake boards? please help I need this assembled and decorated by tomorrow icon_eek.gif

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 6

If each tier is 2 layers (or 3-4 inches high), then you should put the top tier on a board with dowels below. Not only will it be more stable, but it will be much easier to cut and serve.

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #3 of 6

Your alot of help icon_lol.gif

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #4 of 6

Is it two 4" tall teirs? Yes you can use one cardboard circle under each tier. But I would use two or three under the whole cake. If you're doing a 6" and an 8" let's say. Ice the 6" on a 6" circle. Ice the 8" on an 8" circle. Cover two or three 10" or larger circles for your "base". Put the 8" on the base, put dowel rods or straws around the perimiter of where the 6" tier will be (be sure they won't show) - then put the 6" tier on top.

Are you going to take them unstacked to the event, and put the top tier on there? If so - that's all you need. If you're going to put the top tier on at home - you'll need to put on long dowel rod (sharpened with pencil sharpener) all the way down through the center of both tiers (use a tack hammer to get it to go through the 6" cardboard circle). You don't want the top tier to slide off.

Hope this helps some.

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #5 of 6

If it's going to be a small cake (6x9) you can cut drinking straws to size to use as dowels. Then dowel as normal. This is what I do and have never had any problems. Just make sure you don't use the part of the straw with the bend. Cardboard rounds will also work. Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #6 of 6

I think between you two I am all good to go.

Thank you again dears thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%