Need Buttercream Help

Decorating By SaraLee33 Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 1:27am by SaraLee33

SaraLee33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraLee33 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #1 of 6

I made a cake a few weeks ago the day before an event. The next morning, the buttercream oils had leaked out causing a ring around the cake on the cardboard the cake was on.

I have a groom's cake this weekend to do and was wondering the best way to prevent this from happening again.

Please help!

-Sara

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 6

what recipe did you use? was the cake in a 'frig or on the counter? If on the counter, how warm/cool was it in the room?

SaraLee33 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #3 of 6

Cake stayed on the table all night and it was warm.

Thanks for replying...was having trouble with my posts and did receive advice from another forum suggesting covering with parchment paper/saran wrap and other materials that would soak up the oil. Wilton wax boards were also mentioned.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:11am
post #4 of 6

For your base, you need to make sure it's greaseproof. Wilton makes some foil paper but it can get pricing. I love to user freezer paper. There are some cute ideas to wrap your board in gift wrap and then cover with a thin vinyl like a plastic tablecoth. I haven't tried it but I'm going to soon.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #5 of 6

Oh, so it was more of just a grease stain and not so much a pool of liquid oil rolling onto the tabletop?

If so, then yes, covering the boards or using wax boards will prevent it. It's the fat in the shortening just being absorbed by the paper cardboard.

SaraLee33 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #6 of 6

Yes, it's a ring. If it was a pool, I'd be really grossed out icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%