Cream Cheese Icing

Baking By 1BAKED453 Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 2:02am by southerncake

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 10

I HAVE ICED CUPCAKES USING CREAM CHEESE ICING FOR THE FIRST TIME, HENCE MY IGNORANCE ON THE TOPIC.THE RECIPE I USED WAS QUITE RUNNY AND NOT FIRM ENOUGH FOR ME TO MAKE DECORATIVE SWIRLS ON THE CUPCAKES.IS CREAM CHEESE ICING ALWAYS LIKE THIS? OR CAN SOMEONE SUGGEST A GOOD RECIPE TO USE.ALSO DO I NEED TO REFRIGERATE THE CUPCAKES?I DON'T WANT THEM (CAKES)TO DRY OUT.

9 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 10

. . . if you're wanting a cream cheese icing . . . you may want to try this one . . . . http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm . . . as far a refrigerating your current cuppies . . . probably a good idea, as it is unlikely your icing is shelf stable based on your description of the consistency (better to error on the side of caution) . . . HTH

jlynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynn21 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for posting, I was just about to ask this question. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with the other cream cheese frosting recipes that do not require the Butavan? Has anyone used the crusting cream cheese recipe? Thanks for any info, as I am quite the newbie and have to make 100 cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for a friend's wedding.

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 10

I love the cream cheese icing I found on this site. Just type in Decorator's Cream Cheese under the recipe tab. It is great and since it has shortening and lots of sugar it can sit out for a long time. I use it for wedding cupcakes. If you are just looking for a basic cream cheese and your not worried about leaving it out for a long time my favorite recipe is this: 1 stick butter, 1 block cream cheese, 1 C. powdered sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix the fats and vanilla until soft (they should be at room temp) Sift the powdered sugar in and mix until combined. It is so good. It's a little soft at first so I stiffen it in the fridge and then pipe it on my cupcakes. HTH

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 10

My cream cheese recipe is

2 packages of cream cheese
2 sticks of butter
2 lb powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
pinch of salt

I mix the cc and butter until smooth, add the vanilla and sugar, and then slowly add the sugar. I mix until nice and fluffy.

It is soft, but will give you a nice swirl.

MACYZMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACYZMOM Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 10

i love the icing from the food network, bobby flay cupcake challenge, just go to www.foodnetwork.com and search bobby flay and the recipies should be there it is wonderful my family loves it

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro40

I love the cream cheese icing I found on this site. Just type in Decorator's Cream Cheese under the recipe tab. HTH

I agree with Ro40. This one is great to work with. It does not have as strong of a cream cheese flavor as a lot of cream cheese icings though (which is great to me)! I've used it a couple of times with no problems. I have also left it sit out for a few days and it was fine.
Good luck with your cupcakes!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:54am
post #8 of 10

I used the crusting cream cheese frosting for a flag cake for the 4th of July. It was very tasty and worked quite well.

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:54am
post #9 of 10

I love the crusting cream cheese recipe from here.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjk

I love the crusting cream cheese recipe from here.

I agree! This is my favorite.

I actually tried Earlene's for the first time this past week and did not like it at all -- and my client also did not like it. It is very cream cheesy icon_smile.gif ! I was hoping it would be as good as the crusting cream cheese, but it wasn't even close!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%