Dairy Allergy.

Decorating By kimmyboo925 Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:03am by woohooimallie

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 6

My son's first birthday is slowly approaching.. I was so excited to make his cake. We were going with sesame street. I need a recipe for cake and frosting that is dairy free. I am going to make his smash cake dairy free just for him. The cake fo 110 I am going to make WASC. I am so upset to learn of this allergy, hoping by the time he is 2 it goes away.

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 6

In most cake recipes you can easily replace the milk with another liquid, even water. Same goes for icing. recipes using heavy cream may not be as successful.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 6

I have a friend with a son who is extremely dairy allergic, and I saw that many people here on CC use the "Vegan Cupcakes Rule the World" book, so I told him about it. He brought me a pumpkin cupcake they made and it was DELICIOUS. I'm buying the book.

If you are pressed for time, just search for Vegan recipes online. Fortunately, there are a lot of resources and products out there now to help.

My friend also said they have learned to substitute for the milk using soy milk and rice milk. Even buttermilk by taking soy milk and adding a bit of vinegar to 'sour' it.

Good luck!

monkeegurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeegurl Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:04am
post #4 of 6

Both of my children have anaphalytic reaction to dairy. I use regular recipes but substitute coconut milk for cows milk. I really didn't like the aftertaste most foods have when made with soy and rice milks. I make WASC cake alot and use a sour cream substitute made by Tofutti.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:26am
post #5 of 6

Look no further than Duncan Hines yellow cake mix!

http://www.keepingthecastle.com/dairy-free-cake-mixes-from-duncan-hines/

woohooimallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woohooimallie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:03am
post #6 of 6

Hi, I am vegan so I have tons of ideas for you! Like the post before said, there is a vegan cupcake book, however, it's called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Not that much of a difference but it could be in a search. Also, at the local supermarket, there is a cake mix called the cherrybrook kitchen cake mix (they also have brownie, cookie, and cupcake mixes) The amazing thing about these mixes is that they are dairy, peanut,egg, and nut free! Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%