Worried About My Buttercream Crusting...

Decorating By booger Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm by flayvurdfun

booger Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding cake to do next weekend and I'm getting upset with my buttercream. The taste is divine and everyone loves it, and the bride does too, wants that taste.... but the practice cakes I've done and the other cakes I've done for different things all used it and it isn't crusting good enough or fast enough and it's causing a worry of what to do... I guess I could use another recipe, but which one? Help?????

I used Wilton's BC recipe.... and was told that yes the butter has to be soft but not room temperture. If you can put a "dent" in the butter when you pick it up it's too soft and that could be the reason.... anyone else agree?

3 replies
maryak Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 4

I agree with the dent on touch. Always leave it so that it can chill to the point where if you touch it lightly it won't dent. I always add extra confectioner's sugar to your mix to make it a little more stiff.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #3 of 4

Before you complete change your recipes why don't you try a few adjustments. You can cut back the fat or increase your powder sugar to help your icing crust more/faster.

flayvurdfun Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 4

I too was wondering the same thing......

maybe a little more sugar? I know it scares me to change especially since the taste is what is loved so much.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%