Cake Pans

Business By kogden Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm by EnjoyTheCake

kogden Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 12

Which cake pans do you prefer to bake with. I'm just beginning and I'd like to invest in pans that work well and will last.

11 replies
73cupcake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:51am
post #2 of 12

It seems most bakers on this site use either Magic Line or Fat Daddio's. ML are more expensive and it seems most people who have used both prefer them, however I purchased a fat daddio's a few months ago and am quite happy with it and have bought another one since then - they clean up more easily than the magic line.

joy5678 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #3 of 12

I use Magic Line & have never had a problem with them. They have a little "lip" around the top that makes them easier to take out of oven & flip & lift! icon_smile.gif Hope this helps.

lillicakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:50am
post #4 of 12

How do these brands compare to Wilton?

feliciangel Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:10am
post #5 of 12

I like the magic line brand, I have a couple of Wilton pans, and my cakes made with the ml pans come out with sharper corners especially the square, I don't know about the fat daddio's pans. HTH

lillicakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:17am
post #6 of 12

Thanks...I dislike the Wilton square "corners" too....

Momkiksbutt Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:26am
post #7 of 12

Feliciangel....

Where did you get that avatar??!! That the best one I've seen!!! LOL

kogden Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone. I'll try both of these out. My Wiltons are ok, but I knew someone on here could give me some good info. Thanks icon_razz.gif

leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 12

I have all three brands beign discussed. BY FAR my fav is Magic Line. Heavy enough to bake evenly, as easy to clean as anything else, and good sharp corners.

Fat Daddio's according to the owner of the company (there was quite a "discusson" a few weeks ago) recommends that you not bake higher than 300 degree in FD pans.

For me that means a few pans in my inventory now require special handling for best results as in some pans can go in an oven at 325 and some need an oven at 300, so both ovens are on. Way too much trouble for me to remember that.

A few people have reported that ML pans discolor when put in the dishwasher. I don't put my pans in the dishwasher, and if they aren't pretty as brand-spanking new I couldn't care anyway.

Given everything - quality of cakes produced, easy release, straight sides, ease of cleaning, I buy Magic Line.

Once you compare ML to Wilton you won't look back.

Charmed Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 12

I love my magicline pans!!

joy5678 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 12

I agree with leahs. I've had my ml pans for almost 25 years. They still look good (not as easy to dent if dropped because they are much thicker than Wilton) still bake great. They do make square corners look crisp & straight. Worth every penny.
Hope this helps.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm
post #12 of 12

I am not a professional baker, but I have only used Wilton. Mostly because that's what I had access to. I'm also very cheap and haven't made the investment into really expensive pans yet. If and when I need more geometric pans, I'll probably decide based on price and what shapes are available. I really want a comma or paisly pan set. I also should get a few more round pans, but I'm not sure what sizes I need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%