?'s About Coloring Fondant

Decorating By revel Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 10:13am by jess85

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 4

I make my own fondant and color it with wiltons colors. My question is my fondant is fine before i color it after i color it , its way to soft!
Am i doing something wrong? Could it be the wilton products? It mostly happend when i have to use alot of color like red or black. It's driving me crazy! Are there better products to use for coloring?

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 4

Americolor gels seem to perform better. You still need to add a lot of coloring to get red. If you add the color as part of the liquid, or compensate for the added moisture by adding some additional powdered sugar and cornstarch, it should help.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:38am
post #3 of 4

I have found that taking a small ball of fondant and coloring it first very dark then working it into your larger ball it seems to color faster without as much paste.

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:13am
post #4 of 4

any large amount of paste will soften your fondant regardless of the brand, particularly red or black. try making dark pink or dark green respectively first and then adding the red or black if you want to use gells.
the best for coloring fondant these colors is powder color, you dont need as much.
Alternativly buy them premade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%