How Early Can A Cak Be Made?

Decorating By toodles78 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm by edith123

toodles78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodles78 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 8

Hi... I am used to making cakes the day of or the day before an occassion. But does anyone know how soon a cake can be made to the occassion? I just got engaged and thought I would try making my wedding cake. But I am not sure if I can do it the day of or the day before icon_smile.gif I wasn't sure how early one can be made.

7 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 8

I have put mine in the freezer weeks in advance.. undecorated. I know others have frozen decorated cakes but I haven't tried that. I always wrap mine up real good in saran and then in foil

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 8

Bake them, wrap well and freeze. I think for baked goods the rule of thumb is about 3 months in the freezer.

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 8

I have baked and frozen cakes (pre-decorating) without any problem. So I think you could definitely get cakes baked and wrapped and frozen a week before.

But here's a side question that may be related to this one...how long is a cake good once it is decorated in buttercream and left in the fridge? I have a cake due on a Saturday but need to get it to them on Thursday morning. Will it be ok if refrigerated?

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 8

I am like you, I always bake day before and stay up all night to finish (really the only time I have to decorate anyway!). So I really don't know how early you can bake, BUT - I think trying to make your own wedding cake is going to be very stressful! Being the bride is enough! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 8

Cakes can be decorated 2 or 3 days ahead of time with no problems. I don't know of anyone that bakes and decorates a wedding cake the day before or the day of the wedding.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 8

I have made several cakes the day of or a a few days ahead.
I have made many cakes for us where the cake was just too big and we ended up freezing 1/2 and then eating 1/4 for a few days.
I had once I place in a tupperware in the fridge and we ate it for almost a week. ---- It was a whole lot of cake!
The last one I did for my 4 year old. 7 guest outside of us 5 and I had to freeze 1/2 of it. We will see how it turns out. It's b/c with fondant accents. I will try and let you know what happens.
I have decorated cupcakes before and as long as you let them thaw in their container in the fridge so it's a slow process they did just fine. I would just suggest no red/black or anything that will bleed really easy!

Good Luck.

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 8

I posted the same question a few days ago! I'm getting married in 2 weeks and also making my own wedding cake I'm going to try and star working on it like 2 days before because I want it to be as fresh as possible.

I wish you the best of luck! please wish me the same! When are you getting married?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%