Covering Cakes With Poured Fondant Or Candy Melts?

Decorating By cookiesncream Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm by JoAnnB

cookiesncream Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 2

Ok I have never tried poured fondant or melted candy melts or chocolate for covering my cakes. I am making a baby shower cake for free and would like to try something new. I have designed a cake that I would like a smooth surface on. I was wondering if I can frost the cakes to smooth the surfaces and then just pour either poured fondant or candy melts over the lightly frosted cakes. Is there a better way? Will I need to wait till the icing crusts?I do not want to use rolled fondant as the mom to be has asked me not to, she doesn't like it. any suggestions woul be appreciated.

1 reply
JoAnnB Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 2

Welcome to Cake Central.

Usually, poured fondant is quite transparent. It is typically used for petit fours and cookies, rather than covering a cake, and it is very sweet.

If you wanted to ice the cake then pour the fondant, it might work, but I would do a trial on a smaller cake to test the results.

Pouring chocolate provides a more opaque cover, but if you use plain cany melts it will set to a crunchy surface and may crack badly when you try to cut it.

You could use a ganache cover. There are many recipes in the recipe section. If poured over a perfectly smooth cake, the results would be very smooth. And it firms but doesn't dry to a crack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%