How To Apply Fondant To A Tall Cake?

Decorating By doreenre Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm by KoryAK

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 5

I plan on making this cake for DH who is a HUGE Starbucks coffee lover...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=903283

Jenbug said she stacked six, 6" cakes, carved and covered, but I'm curious as to how one would apply the fondant? Six, 6" cakes from 3" pans is an 18" tall cake!! From the top as you would a normal cake? Would this be too heavy and potentially cause slippage of the layers?

Or should the fondant be wrapped around the cakes? My fear hear would be the fondant pulling away from the cake.

Please help!

4 replies
trichardson1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trichardson1229 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 5

The fondant would have to be wrapped instead of draped over the cake. She did say that she used piping gel at the top and bottom of the cake to help hold on the fondant.
Good luck. Can't wait to see it.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 5

I think I saw something on Ace of Cakes about using Royal Icing under the fondant to hold it up - they called it the spackle of cake building. I haven't tried it yet but I have a tall top hat cake for September that I was going to use this technique on to see how it worked out. I can see the logic where it would hold stronger than buttercream. If you have time you could do a practice run with RI and see if it works?

Kathleen

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 5

. . . definitely wrap the cake . . . and this duff video may be helpful regarding the logo/lettering application . . .

. . . although a FBCT or CT may be the easier route . . . as long as you can get it to follow the curvature of the cake . . . can't wait to see your finished product . . . thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 5

I would cover it as usual and not worry about if there are repaired tears or anything. (maybe in a coffee color) then wrap the outside as the others suggested in your cup color. The first coat will help the second coat from peeling off and you can get a realistic looking cup lip and inside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%