Please Help!!

Decorating By patella Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm by Molly2

patella Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 9

Hi! I'm posting this in several diff areas bc I need a quick answer!

I have 2 questions⦠first, Can someone tell me if I need to put dowels in this or not? I am making an 8 inch square cake using only ONE 2 inch pan. I plan to torte that and fill it w/buttercream and covering the cake with fondant. I want to put a half ball made from the of the 3d sports ball on top of it and covering it w/fondant too.

The 2nd question is to see if someone can tell me what I did wrong. I am redoing a cake that I made last night. I made a 2 layer 8 inch round cake then put the half ball on top. One mistake I think I made was that I did not let the cake cool completely before I put it together. I let it cool for about 20 min, and then put it in the freezer for 20 min. The 2nd mistake was probably the support bc this morning it has completely collapsed. I did not support (bc I didnât think about it) and now I need to redo it.

Sheâs only going to have 8-10 people there so I think the one square will be fine.

Thanks for your help!

8 replies
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 9

Cakes must be completely cooled before assembled. Once you have filled and crumb coated you need to let it settle for a couple of hours before applying the fondant. Then let that settle before placing another cake on top of it. If it were me I'd use supports just to be safe and make sure all of your layers are level. HTH

tlreetz Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 9

I always bake the night before I am going to decorate. Wrap the cakes once cool and start decorating the next day. With that cake, I wouldn't have put dowels in it, but insufficient cooling could have been the problem. If you want to be extra safe, then put 2 dowels in it to support the half ball.

wendalynn11 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 9

IT looks like the weight of the golf ball was too much without supports and smooshed the bottom cake. Try supporting the top cake with dowels and a cake board and it should work out better, as well as making sure the cake is completely cooled.

Molly2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 9

First of all when I make cake I always bake them anywhere from 24 to 48 hours ahead of time it gives them time to cool and settle I would put dowels under the ball and I would also put a cake round(cake board) under the ball to help it sit even thats so the cake on top is not to heavy for the cake on the bottom Thats what I would do

Molly2 icon_biggrin.gif

stephaniescakenj Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 9

I made a tennis ball cake a few years back, it was on a 8 inch 2-layer square with the ball on top. I used no support, just a cake board under the ball and had no problem. I made the same exact cake twice and it made it through transport without a problem both times. I would say your problem was the cake was not sufficiently cooled and maybe your buttercream wasn't stiff enough? I too always bake either the morning of decorating or preferrably the night before.

patella Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much! I did not realize the importance of letting the cakes completely cool. Now I know! thumbs_up.gif

I love how everyone is so helpful and willing to give advice on here!

patella Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 9

I ended up making it 3 1 inch layers and put 4 dowels w/cardboard under the golf ball. It turned out pretty good. I probably overdid it w/the grass on the bottom, but customer loved it.

Molly2 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 9

That is really cute you did a good job

Molly2 thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%