Help Please!

Decorating By patella Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm by sunnybono

patella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patella Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 2

Hi! I have 2 questions⦠first, Can someone tell me if I need to put dowels in this or not? I am making an 8 inch square cake using only ONE 2 inch pan. I plan to torte that and fill it w/buttercream and covering the cake with fondant. I want to put a half ball made from the of the 3d sports ball on top of it and covering it w/fondant too.

The 2nd question is to see if someone can tell me what I did wrong. I am redoing a cake that I made last night. I made a 2 layer 8 inch round cake then put the half ball on top. One mistake I think I made was that I did not let the cake cool completely before I put it together. I let it cool for about 20 min, and then put it in the freezer for 20 min. The 2nd mistake was probably the support bc this morning it has completely collapsed. I did not support (bc I didnât think about it) and now I need to redo it.

Sheâs only going to have 8-10 people there so I think the one square will be fine.

Thanks for your help!
LL

1 reply
sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 2

You are probably right...you didn't give it plenty of time to cool. Also if it had a lot of moisture in it from being sort of flash frozen, it could have settled badly when it thawed out last night. Also you probably should have put the ball on it's own board and supported it. I think it was just too heavy. I would definitely support your next one if you are at all worried. Especially since you are torting and filling the square and you don't want the ball to compress the cake and squish out the filling causing a buldge. Your cake is really nice, however. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%