Help Please!

Decorating By patella Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm by patella

patella Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 11

Hi! I have 2 questions⦠first, Can someone tell me if I need to put dowels in this or not? I am making an 8 inch square cake using only ONE 2 inch pan. I plan to torte that and fill it w/buttercream and covering the cake with fondant. I want to put a half ball made from the of the 3d sports ball on top of it and covering it w/fondant too.

The 2nd question is to see if someone can tell me what I did wrong. I am redoing a cake that I made last night. I made a 2 layer 8 inch round cake then put the half ball on top. One mistake I think I made was that I did not let the cake cool completely before I put it together. I let it cool for about 20 min, and then put it in the freezer for 20 min. The 2nd mistake was probably the support bc this morning it has completely collapsed. I did not support (bc I didnât think about it) and now I need to redo it.

Sheâs only going to have 8-10 people there so I think the one square will be fine.

Thanks for your help!
LL
LL

10 replies
marccrand Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 11

What a shame! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif The golf ball and the grass look terrific!

I wouldn't bother putting dowels in. I don't think it's the weight - it's only a half-ball, and especially since you're only going 2". I think your problem must be related to the cooling. I usually bake one night, cool, wrap in saran-wrap and then ice the next night (make sure to unwrap soon enough that the moisture evaporates, you don't want to ice a wet cake - that's going to create a whole new set of problems for you)

Sorry you have to rebake - although it sounds like you're doing a square now instead of a round? I would defintely try to salvage the golf ball. If it were me, I might try to just scrape off the old icing and try again - especially since you're covering with fondant. But I don't know if it would work or not.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics. thumbs_up.gif

trichardson1229 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 11

icon_sad.gif

SUELA Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 11

Just to verify, the cake collapsed, this isn't a case of teh buttercream sliding down the cake? I would have to agree with marccrand that it is a cooling issue (although the 20 minutes in the freezer should have cooled it enough). I also bake as far in advance as possible and put in the freezer.

If this cake was warm what so ever and there was buttercream, it would have melted. It does look great though!

CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 11

Was the cake still warm when you filled and iced it?
The weight from the half ball should'nt make it collapse like that.
But just to be safe I would put a couple of straws in for support and make sure the cake is completely cooled before filling and icing.
Sorry this happened, its a really cute cake!

tmt Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 11

i actually would recommend dowels. i made a similar cake twice. once with dowels, once without. the one without did collapse a bit in the car, the one with did not collapse at all. hth!

trichardson1229 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 11

[quote="SUELA"]Just to verify, the cake collapsed, this isn't a case of teh buttercream sliding down the cake? I would have to agree with marccrand that it is a cooling issue (although the 20 minutes in the freezer should have cooled it enough). I also bake as far in advance as possible and put in the freezer.

Excuse me. I'll just keep my mouth shut and delete my post.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 11

That cake definately needs dowels and a cake board under the ball. Cake & icing weigh too much to just sit it on top of another cake. Also, always let your cakes completely cool before doing any kind of icing or assembly. You have a great design and I'm sure the second cake will turn out perfect! We've all had to redo a cake or two! icon_wink.gif

emrldsky Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 11

If you look in my pictures, I have the ball on top of a 9x13 cake. I cut off part of one half of the ball, to make a flat part. I cut a 6" cake board smaller than the flat part of the ball. I used 4 dowels in the 9x13 cake where I was placing the ball, and it all worked well.

Good luck!

patella Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 11

My cakes were cold on top and I remember them being slightlly warm on the bottom when I iced them. I didnt realize how important it was to let them cool. I appreciate everyone's input. I've learned a lot in reading these posts. I will try to salvage the ball and put it on a square cake and use the dowels. Thanks sooo much!!!! thumbs_up.gif

patella Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 11

I ended up making it 3 1 inch layers. It turned out pretty good. I probably overdid it w/the grass on the bottom, but customer loved it.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%