Need Help Please!

Decorating By patella Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 4:29am by calynmom

patella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patella Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I have 2 questions⦠first, Can someone tell me if I need to put dowels in this or not? I am making an 8 inch square cake using only ONE 2 inch pan. I plan to torte that and fill it w/buttercream and covering the cake with fondant. I want to put a half ball made from the of the 3d sports ball on top of it and covering it w/fondant too.

The 2nd question is to see if someone can tell me what I did wrong. I am redoing a cake that I made last night. I made a 2 layer 8 inch round cake then put the half ball on top. One mistake I think I made was that I did not let the cake cool completely before I put it together. I let it cool for about 20 min, and then put it in the freezer for 20 min. The 2nd mistake was probably the support bc this morning it has completely collapsed. I did not support (bc I didnât think about it) and now I need to redo it.

Sheâs only going to have 8-10 people there so I think the one square will be fine.

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
patella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patella Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 5

here is a pic of the cake
LL

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #3 of 5

You should have been able to put that half ball on top of an 8" cake without dowels. I would definately say that for a 1 layer cake with a 1/2 ball on top, you do not need dowels. I'm not sure why your cake collapsed. If it was not completely cool that could certainly contribute. It looks also like your icing under your fondant is too soft. If the cake was warm that would definately soften your icing. But it also may need less liquid or more powdered sugar. I also like to chill my iced cake really well before applying the icing. the icing will not smoosh and you'll get nice sharp corners. Condensation will develop on your fondant, but it will evaporate and your fondant will be fine. Good luck!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:58am
post #4 of 5

Your cake might have been to soft too and not able to handle the weight of the fondant and the ball. Needs to cool longer than 20 min out and 20 in freezer.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:29am
post #5 of 5

Did you put buttercream in between the layers making a damn ? That will help support the layers and the ball. I would definitely let it cool completely and make sure your icing has a firm consistency to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%