Crumb Coating A Cake???

Decorating By asiakayla Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm by asiakayla

asiakayla Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 7

hi, newbie here..... what do you use to crumb coat your cakes. I use buttercream and put it in the fridge for like 15 minutes, but when i put my frosting on the crumbs still come up. Am i doing it wrong? Should i use something else???

6 replies
yvette131 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 7

some merinque powder in the buttercream can help and also use alot of buttercream after the crumb coat with a spatula ran under hot water and then dried off with a paper towel there should be enough icing that the spatula never touches the actually cake.

Arriva Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 7

I thin down my regular buttercream -- very thin. It's only purpose is to capture the crumbs anyway. The buttercream is very thin, and I put a very thin layer of it on the cake. Then I put a regular coating of icing on after that.

rwarhank Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 7

Especially at this time of year with the humidity you probably will need to let it sit a bit longer.

mbh724 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 7

Thin out the buttercream so it is very thin. I can actually see the cake through my layer of crumb coat. May sure it is completely covered to seal in all of the crumbs. I then pop it in the fridge for just a couple of minutes (3-4 minutes) and apply my regular consistency buttercream.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 7

Are you using a crusting BC?

asiakayla Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 7

yes i'm using a crusting buttercream.... it may be the humidity like another poster said...i don't know. I'm so confused. i just started cake decorating so i really don't know what i am doing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%