Help! Choc. Covered Strawberries On Top Of Cake

Decorating By mom2leelee Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 10:10pm by mom2leelee

mom2leelee Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 19

I finally managed to find some decent looking strawberries. I am going to cover them in chocolate and put them on top of a cake I'm making for Friday. My question is will the strawberries weep on the cake and make it all juicy? It is for a coworker so I will have to take the cake to work Friday where it will sit and then she is taking it to a party Friday evening. Any suggestions? It will be frosted w/ chocolate buttercream

18 replies
yvette131 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 19

wash the strawberries out a day before you dip in chocolate. They should be fully dry when you dip them in chocolate. also keep it refrigerated even when at work if possible you dont want the chocolate melting from warm heat

mcdonald Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 19

I saw a post earlier about Strawberrys and someone said they don't wash their berries... prevents seeping. Even if you dry them, they retain that moisture. But I totally understand why most feel they should be washed. Every cake I have done w/strawberries, have seeped. I don't have a good answer except for maybe the not washing thing. I wouldn't add them until you got to work, if you can... or by the end of the day.. you know.. one of those last thing to do..

You might want to do a search about this because there was a really good post going about this same thing... I will try to see if I can find it for you as well

mom2leelee Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 19

Thanks! I am thinking about taking them to work in a seperate container and just putting them on right before she leaves. I have also decided I'm going to ice the cake in chocolate buttercream but then pour ganache over it. I'm so excited because this is my first cake that some one has requested!

tyty Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 19

On the foodnetwork they say, clean the strawberries with a damp towel. Do not wash them under running water. Just wipe them down.

AlamoSweets Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 19

Only clean them with a cloth and don't put them under water. Also, make sure the chocolate is at room temperature. The warmth from the chocolate will cause the strawberries to weep. I dip my just before the cake is due because it only took once when I dipped them ahead of time (night before) to realize it was a horrible mistake and they weeped all over the cake. Don't refrigerate the strawberries. Keep them at room temperature because they will definitely sweat. Good luck!

julzs71 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 19

I use a damp paper towel for mine. I do this right before I dip my berries. I do put mine in the fridge for a while cause I always wait till the last minute.

decoratingfool Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 19

Well i made a weding cake last month with chocolate covered strawberries on it and what we did and it worked was wipe the strawberries down with a damp cloth NOT wet, and set them aside in a dry place for at least an hour before dipping, Our cake set out for 5 hrs or so before they cut it and there was no weeeping at all, i was pleased with how it came out...So were the bride and groom.. The picutre is on my photos if you want to check them out..I hope that helps......

decoratingfool Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 19

oops sorry double post.......................

giggysmack Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 19

definately don't refrigerate the strawberries after dipping they will sweat!

MissyShay Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 19

I had the same problem when I made a cake. My Wilton cake instructor said that the moisture from the refridgerator is what made it weep. When you buy choc. covered strawberries from a bakery they say that they have to be eaten within 24 hours and they do not refrigerate them. I have not tested this theory out myself, I eat them too fast!
Missy

mom2leelee Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks so much for all of the info. So I will wipe down w/ a damp cloth and plan on dipping them tomorrow night and then letting them sit out (not in the fridge) till I put them on the cake right before the walks out the door to leave work Friday.

The ganache is a no go because she is really set on red fondant strips on the cake. I am thinking of making chocolate shards to set in between the strawberries though.

4laynes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #13 of 19

I've never dipped strawberries, but would like to for this weekend to accompany a strawberry cake. What kind of chocolate do you dip them in?

Bev

mom2leelee Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #14 of 19

I used Hershey's semisweet chips and added 2tbsp crisco to the bag before I melted it. Here is a pic of the cake! I am so proud of it! LOL
LL

giggysmack Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:47pm
post #15 of 19

Very cute cake. How did the strawberries hold up?

mom2leelee Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 10:46pm
post #16 of 19

She said the cake held up nicely. I took the cake and also some choc. butter cream, covered strawberries, and choc. shards separately. When I arrived she said "I hope it's OK that we won't eat the cake until Sunday night!" I could have died! I knew even if I waited to put the strawberries on that evening it would make it two days (this was Friday).

The problem was that I knew I couldn't just send the strawberries and choc. w/ her because it would look nothing like I wanted it too. So on my lunch break I ran to Walmart and bought some wax paper and cut a circle and placed it on the cake. On this I placed my strawberries, using some bc to attach them, and the icing and shards. She said it held up well.

basketlacey Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:53am
post #17 of 19

That cake is gorgeous! Very elegant!

mclaren Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:08am
post #18 of 19

i have a question abt strawberries....

are all the strawberries sold, organic? which means they are pesticide free, hence by just wiping them with damp cloth is sufficient to clean them?

mom2leelee Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:10pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey

That cake is gorgeous! Very elegant!

Thank you very much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%