Stacked Buttercream Cakes

Decorating By poolscool Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 12:42am by APrettyCake

poolscool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poolscool Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 6

When making a stacked cake using buttercream not fondant is there something I should do other than putting the layers on top of one another? When you remove the layer it leaves a big mess on the bottom layer unlike fondant where you remove the layer and it still looks good.

5 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 6

Once the bc has crusted well, you can put a dusting of powdered sugar to help the board/plate from sticking to the bc underneath.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 6

I always put a piece of wax paper cut to the same size as the board so it won't pull up the frosting of the cake below it. And for sure, a well crusted buttercream.

KimAZ

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 6

Agree on letting the icing crust. My cardboards and/or plastic plates sit right on the bottom tier and I never have icing sticking.... see my website page on "how to cut a wedding cake" and you'll see the indentations on the icing where the plate sat right on the icing ... but no sticking.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 6

I was actually going to post this question today - I am doing more and more 2 tiered cakes and don't want them sticking icon_lol.gif Thanks for the cutting tips!!

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:42am
post #6 of 6

OK - So I made a stacked BC cake, and used the powdered sugar over crusted BC method, underneath the top layer. Worked like a charm! I have done it many times with fondant, was not so sure about the BC tho - I am SO glad it worked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%