Satin Ice Gumpaste & Fondant

Decorating By lorrieg Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 3:53pm by lorrieg

lorrieg Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 8

Is it just me or is the Satin Ice gumpaste REALLY different from Nick's premade or even Wilton's premade?

I'm finding it so much like fondant that I'm adding more tylose to it and I still don't love it. icon_evil.gif

Right now I've got a package of Nick's and it working really well. I have a couple of tubs of unopened SI and I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and just add them to the SI fondant to make it a bit "stiffer". I'm finding it soft as well. Especially in this weather. I have A/C but it is humid out there.

7 replies
lorrieg Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #2 of 8

I guess it's just me. icon_cry.gif

jo_ann Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 8

I have a tub of SI gumpaste and I like it but I also find it kind of soft. So far it has hardened okay but not as fast as Nicholas Lodge's gp recipe. I love his recipe and I doubt I'll be reordering SI's gumpaste.

On the other hand I found Maria Sanchez's flower paste at GSA. I bought the red and green because the colors are great for the roses and ivy I have to do for a Sept. wedding. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure of the consistency. I hate making red because the deep red is so hard to achieve and I always mess up the gumpaste with the green because green will dry out the gumpaste. So I'm crossing my fingers on this.

lorrieg Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 8

I got some of Maria Sanchez's in white to try. It's pretty expensive but if it works and you don't have to add a bunch of tylose to make it work maybe it isn't so bad. I haven't tried it yet.

Good luck with the roses. I'm doing some for an October wedding. I'm going to use Sugarflair paste colour in Ruby, dust with Ruby dust and then use a lacquer spray. I'm going to do a few soon and see how they survive.

Let me know if you find a magic trick to getting red red that will last. icon_smile.gif

jo_ann Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 8

If you find out how to the red red that will last I will be your fan forever. And a deep red please.

lorrieg Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:11am
post #6 of 8

Fingers crossed! icon_smile.gif

jo_ann Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #7 of 8

I'll post a pic of the roses I have to do when I'm done. Hopefully you'll have solved the mystery of the deep red rose before that. icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 8

I'm getting some Gerbera daisies done for an August wedding. Then I'll try some roses. icon_smile.gif

Alan carries Nick's gumpaste and I'm a huge fan now. I love it. I think I'll use it exclusively. I made a batch from his recipe which I haven't tried yet but the premade is fabulous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%