Two Kinds Of People

Decorating By Pookie59 Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 6:26am by erikamj

Pookie59 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 19

I made two cakes this week for co-workers' birthdays. The first was a white chocolate cake with strawberry icing and some chocolate covered strawberries (no fancy decorating). The recipient was thrilled, went so far as to write a formal thank you note and inquire about baking some cakes for her for payment.

The second cake was a German chocolate sheet cake, a rather expensive cake to make, but my cubie-mate loves this cake so I did this for her birthday. I was up until 11 p.m. finishing it, after working a 10 1/2 hour day. Went to bed exhausted. Got up, brought it in to my cubie-mate for her birthday today. She said thanks. A bit later her boss came by, told her he wanted to take her to lunch and that she should invite someone. Without a glance in my direction, she gets on the phone and calls someone else... someone who didn't so much as bring her a birthday card. Okay, so she doesn't owe me, but I feel kind of stupid now that I spent my time and money on someone who apparently doesn't think much of me! Next year I'm sure I'll "forget" her birthday.

18 replies
karateka Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 19

Well, I certainly would! How rude! icon_mad.gif

CocoaBlondie Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 19

So, sorry to hear about your ungrateful co-worker icon_cry.gif I guess some people don't realize how much time & effort it takes to make these beautiful cake.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 19

Ya know that expression, the more I know people the more I like my dog? Well it's true, and right now I'm ready to shoot my three cats (I already found a new home for my dog last year!). Sounds like you're experiencing the same thing.

capitts Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 19

I am sorry to hear that happened to you.

My sister has a saying (that always seems to apply to me...):

Never make someone a priority when they only make you an option!

Words to live by!! Live and learn. I am sure your cake was delish, though. icon_smile.gif

hellie0h Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 19

I love that!!!!
Have a few people in my life, that quote would certainly apply to.

BCo Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 19

OMG I love that saying too!!! I printed it out and taped it to my computer - I needed to be reminded of that often! Man - I need to repeat that to myself daily!!! I am so easily walked over by people I put too much thought and effort into!!

thanks! I will pass it along also!

Brandie

ccr03 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 19

wow! that is a GREAT saying!! I think I need to read it a couple more times!!

indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 19

When my brother got married, our sister did EVERYTHING for him ... she turned her finished basement into a little chapel and reception room; she loaned the bride her wedding gown; she took care of the flowers; she cleaned and polished her house from top to bottom; she carried borrowed chairs from her church up and down her basement steps. The only thing she didnt' do was make the cake, which I took care of.

Brother and new wife took the parents out for a steak dinner after the wedding to say "Thanks". icon_eek.gif

Sister who did all the work said, "I didn't want the steak dinner! I can buy my own dinner! I just thought it was tacky that *I* did all the work and they take the parents out to dinner! A little Thank You would have been nice!" (P.S. Neither set of parents contributed one dime toward this wedding.)

superstar Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 19

Pookie59, you did a lovely, kind thing. That she didn't appreciate it is her loss.

tracycakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 19

It does feel very good to be appreciated. I brought a cake in for a co-worker/friend today for her birthday. She was so grateful for it and everyone commented on how beautiful it was. It was the first time I had made gumpaste roses, rosebuds, and filler flowers or used by quilting impression mat or put a fondant ribbon around the bottom. (I will get a picture posted tonight I hope). But what made me feel better is that they loved the chocolate cake and raspberry filling. The cake was a doctored chocolate mix.

I had some issues making the cake but when I brought it in and everyone loved it, it made me remember why I enjoy doing this.

If someone didn't appreciate it, be assured that was the last cake I would make for them.

Pookie59 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 19

Indydebi - your wedding story tops my cake story - lol

I'm sure my coworker appreciated my efforts to some extent, but not so much that I'll do it again. Oh well... live and learn.

Aliwis000 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 19

Sometimes when I read things like this I think maybe I can open a business. So when someone has this kind of thing happen to them they call me, explain the situtation and for a small fee I track down the party in question and give them a light slap on the face, you know just to let them know they did wrong. Ok ok I know violence is not the answer, it wouldnt be a hard slap just something to wake them up.

icon_smile.gif

Alicia

ElectricCook Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 19

I love that saying also.

I have a friend that it took me a long time to figure out that my family I are just an option. Needless to say I try to limit our interaction with them.

It was hard at the age of 41 to realize that you are an option. Your mind knows long before your heart does.

ElectricCook Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:20pm
post #15 of 19

I love that saying also.

I have a friend that it took me a long time to figure out that my family I are just an option. Needless to say I try to limit our interaction with them.

It was hard at the age of 41 to realize that you are an option. Your mind knows long before your heart does.

TexasSugar Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitts

My sister has a saying (that always seems to apply to me...):

Words to live by!! Live and learn.

Oh I love this!! I'll have to remember it.

Zamode Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:05am
post #17 of 19

Pookie--birthday already forgotten, don't wait until next year! Sorry this happened to you, we all know how it feels, unfortunately...

twooten173 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:36am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliwis000

Sometimes when I read things like this I think maybe I can open a business. So when someone has this kind of thing happen to them they call me, explain the situtation and for a small fee I track down the party in question and give them a light slap on the face, you know just to let them know they did wrong. Ok ok I know violence is not the answer, it wouldnt be a hard slap just something to wake them up.

icon_smile.gif

Alicia

How much you charging? I have a whole family that needs slapped! HARD!!!

erikamj Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:26am
post #19 of 19

that is rude. i would definitely forget that birthday next year. Some people just dont appreciate the amount of work that goes into cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%