Can You Dry Buttercream For Decorations??

Decorating By Miksadie Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:43am by indydebi

Miksadie  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miksadie Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 10

I am so, so new!!! I was wanting to know if you can dry buttercream for decorations. For example, pipe out a bike decoration on wax paper and then put it on top of a cupcake for example. Or do initials and then place them on a cake or cupcake.

I so appreciate this website and everyone's wisdom. This site has gotten me to look forward to and enjoy baking and decorating!!

Mikki

9 replies
 snowshoe1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 10

Sounds like what you want to do is a frozen buttercream transfer. Here is a tutorial:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

HTH

Lady_Phoenix  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 10

Most dried decorations like that are made from royal icing. I don't think buttercream would hold up well.

taxnerd  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 10

I have made flowers, mostly roses & rose buds, from stiff buttercream and then frozen them so that I can transfer them to the cake. By the time the buttercream thaws & softens, the flowers are already on your cake. It probably wouldn't work with outline type items like initials or design outlines.

lillicakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 10

I have dried buttercream roses and other flowers (in flower formers, or just flat on waxed paper squares), but don't think it would work for an outline figure--they don't get QUITE that hard or durable.

tracycakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:33am
post #6 of 10

I've made roses ahead and let them dry but most flowers I've made ahead or either royal icing or more recently, gumpaste.

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:47am
post #7 of 10

I air-dry my BC flowers all the time. To me, it's the only way. Air-drying removes all the moisture, making the flower light weight so it stays on the cake better (like on the side). Anything frozen will melt when removed from the freezer. I have thrown some roses in the freezer when I had to make a couple of extra last minute and bluntly, it's a mess getting it to the cake. They start to melt IMMEDIATELY (just like a FBCT will). I'm only able to take out one at a time and then I'm almost running from freezer to cake to get it there .... and it still melts too much. (Did a small anniversary cake a few weeks ago and didn't make the roses ahead of time. Put them in the freezer ..... I will NEVER do that again! What a disaster!)

Air dry. Only.

Miksadie  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miksadie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone. I have never worked with royal icing. But I guess there is never a better time to try and teach myself. icon_cool.gif

mclaren  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I air-dry my BC flowers all the time. To me, it's the only way. Air-drying removes all the moisture, making the flower light weight so it stays on the cake better (like on the side). Anything frozen will melt when removed from the freezer. I have thrown some roses in the freezer when I had to make a couple of extra last minute and bluntly, it's a mess getting it to the cake. They start to melt IMMEDIATELY (just like a FBCT will). I'm only able to take out one at a time and then I'm almost running from freezer to cake to get it there .... and it still melts too much. (Did a small anniversary cake a few weeks ago and didn't make the roses ahead of time. Put them in the freezer ..... I will NEVER do that again! What a disaster!)

Air dry. Only.

debi,

how do you air dry your BC? can it be done if the BC is made from all butter or SMBC / IMBC types of BC?

TIA.

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #10 of 10

I only use one kind of icing .... http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

It's the only one I've ever used for 25 years. It ain't broke so I'm not fixin' it! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%