? Sugar Crystalizing With Imbc

Baking By kmallen Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 4:49pm by KoryAK

kmallen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmallen Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 5

I have been playing around with making IMBC and I heated the sugar syrup to 256 F and when I started adding it to the egg whites some of the syrup I guess crystalized and stuck to the bottom of the bowl. It only happened just in the beginning because the rest of it mixed in well. Does anybody know what I'm talking about or why that happened. It isn't like the syrup hit the beaters and stuck to the side.
Did my syrup get too hot??

Thanks

4 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 5

I have that trouble with my sunbeam mixer, so I only use my KA-Pro now for IMBC. The beaters just did not scrape the bottom enough to get any sugar mixture that was at the bottom fast enough to incorporate it.

I also only do my sugar mix to 230, but that may be the needed temp for my recipe and not the one you are using.

Good luck! I hate the sugar stuck in the bowl!

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 5

To prevent crystalization I put 2 - 3 drops of lemon juice in the syrup mixture when mixing the sugar with water. To prevent in the mixer I add small amts of syrup with the mixer bowl in lowered position so I can control the direction the syrup flows. Then beat to incorporate then repeat the process till all the syrup is used.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 5

Why to 256? You only need 240. I cook to 240 then dip the pot briefly in cold water to stop the cooking process, then start to pour. When I say dip I mean for a few seconds. Your sugar got to hot. Did you have any sugar on the sides of the pot as it boiled?

Mike

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 5

A lot of that will be due to how it was poured in. Its a PIA if you ask me so I make SMBC icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%