Making First Tiered Cake

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 3:29pm by MeliaJ

MeliaJ Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 6

I am going to be making a birthday cake for a friend for her son's birthday, I was thinking 2 or 3 tiers. Anyone have any tips on my first tiered cake? Round or square better? etc? I'm new to the cake decorating world, but loving it icon_smile.gif

Thanks
Melia

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 6

Round is probably easier at first. If you do a square cake, just keep in mind that it takes a lot more batter to fill up a square pan than a round one of the same size.

Make sure you use enough support in the bottom tier(s). I use the disposable white plastic dowels that wilton sells, the ones that you cut with a steak knife, and they work very well.

Valli_War Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 6

I am planning to make a stacked cake for the first time. I did make one for course III which was using pillars. This time I want to try with bubble straw since lot of you have been using it successfully. My question is if you use straws for each tier, do you put a regular wooden dowel through all the stacks in the center or you use another straw. I cannot think how you can make the straw go through the cardboard.

TIA

MeliaJ Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the info on the round vs. square batter needs. How do you know how much for different shapes/sizes?

snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeliaJ

Thanks for the info on the round vs. square batter needs. How do you know how much for different shapes/sizes?

This is the chart I like to use to determine how much batter/icing etc...

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

MeliaJ Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you! I just found this site last week and love it! Everyone seems to be so helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%