How Is This Piped?

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:43am
post #1 of 10

The piping on this cake is very fine...is it just very thin buttercream (it is going on a buttercream cake) with number 1 tip or is something else? I want to keep that delicate work, but buttercream just seems like it would be too thick....
what cha think?
LL

9 replies
bathoryjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bathoryjones Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:54am
post #2 of 10

i think it could be done with a #1. I automatically thought of chocolate when i saw it. you could pipe it in chocolate too.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:56am
post #3 of 10

Possible w/ BC. Just make sure there are no air bubbles in it. That would be my worry. Very nice work.

Mike

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:03am
post #4 of 10

Buttercream thinned with corn syrup or piping gel, maybe? It's worked for me before...

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:03am
post #5 of 10

I'd have to agree with the PP's and say a #1. I have done similar designs before, and I used the same tip to get the fine detail. It certainly is a beautiful cake - have fun with it! icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:06am
post #6 of 10

" but buttercream just seems like it would be too thick.... "

You can make your butter cream as thick or thin as you need it.... I would just use a small parchment bag... I think it gives more control with a tedious job like this.....

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:41am
post #7 of 10

so just make it nice and thin with piping gel and use the parchment bag? Sounds like a plan to me..thanks guys! (I hope mine turns out as nice! )

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:43am
post #8 of 10

JMO - I don't think it looks fine enough to be done with #1. It looks like #2 to me. Having never piped chocolate scrolls, it can certainly be done with thinned bc.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 10

You could use royal icing too....personally I prefer to pipe with royal, especially when it's finer piping

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 10

it looks like chocolate to me. it's gorgeous. show us pics of your cake when you're done. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%