Wet Fondant! What Am I Doing Wrong??

Decorating By SUUMEME Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 5:10am by wendy1273

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:10am
post #1 of 3

I freeze my cakes to make it easier to decorate is that the problem? They are too cold? So w/ fondant cakes I have to eliminate the fridge? Will that keep the fondant dry? How will they stay fresh or do fondant cakes need to be refrigerated to be kept fresh? And what about BC w/ fondant accents? BC should be refrigerated right? But then the fondant accents get soggy and wet and ooze off the sides of the BC cake. Please someone explain this too me. I must be doing somthing wrong!!??!

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #2 of 3

As long as nothing else in the cake needs to be refrigerated, a fondant-covered cake can sit out for three days. I leave buttercream cakes out for three days also. If we have it longer than that, by that point I don't care how it looks, so I put it in the fridge.

The fridge does make fondant soggy. The condensation that forms on fondant when you put it on a frozen cake will sometimes go away as the cake warms up, but if it's really humid in your house, all you'll end up with is a soggy mess.

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:10am
post #3 of 3

I don't freeze my cakes I just put them in the fridge and they get firm enough to decorate. I put my fondant cakes in the fridge if I finish the day before delivery and I just make sure I take it out a few hours before is deliver because if the fondant get a little wet it will have time to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%