Powdered Sugar Or Cornstarch On Fondant

Decorating By SueB Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 2:12am by spring

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:56am
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone! I've been watching cake decorating videos on YouTube for a few days now and have one big question. Whenever the person making the video works with fondant they use a ton of powdered sugar or cornstarch to prevent the fondant from sticking which makes perfect sense to me. My question is...how do you get the p sugar or cornstarch residue off of your finished product? No one ever shows how they do that! Even on Ace of Cakes they always show the cakes in progress covered in residue but when they show the completed cake its not there anymore. When I've worked with fondant for modeling items I find it leaves like a dull spot where the residue was when I try to just wipe it off with my fingers. Thanks for any help you can give!

17 replies
michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:05am
post #2 of 18

i usually brush it off-like with an big blusher brush or big artists brush hth-i'd like to know how the pros do it though (it always looks so perfect when it's put together in those shows)

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #3 of 18

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if they use a damped cloth to dust of the ps or cs, it's a possibility

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:16am
post #4 of 18

I use a brush as well, though I'm thinking about getting one of those cans of "compressed air" (not sure what they are) which are used to clean out computer keyboards (I used to work in an office!)... I know I shouldn't put it too close, however I'm always getting the urge to blow on it like it's a piece of inedible art. I don't do it, but I think that air might help get that out of my system! A brush works good, but I need to get a huge one like "michellesArt" - mine is too small & sometimes leaves little dents if I'm not careful.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:20am
post #5 of 18

I've heard of giving the fondant a thin "polishing" of shortning or airbrushing vodka on it. I've never tried either. Anyone out there done this before?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:28am
post #6 of 18

There are a couple of ways to erase the powdered sugar or cornstarch from the finished cake. One is to take a small ball of fondant and use it like an eraser. Rub it very lightly over the areas with too much cornstarch and it will stick to it.

The other way is to paint it lightly with vodka or another clear alcohol. My husband watches Ace of Cakes and said they told once that they do that...he told me like it was some big national secret suddenly revealed, but I've already been doing it for a long time icon_biggrin.gif

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:29am
post #7 of 18

I use a large paintbrush and paint lemon extract on it. It dries quickly and cleans off the chalky look.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #8 of 18

I don't use ps or cornstarch. I rub a thin film of veg shortening on the coutner and roll out the fondant. Way easier, and your fondant won't dry out.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #9 of 18

I even bypass the shortening and roll it out on a sheet of parchment paper.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:26am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailika

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if they use a damped cloth to dust of the ps or cs, it's a possibility

No, this won't work--it will melt the fondant and make it sticky.

"... I'm thinking about getting one of those cans of "compressed air" (not sure what they are) which are used to clean out computer keyboards (I used to work in an office!)... "

Compressed air products are not foodsafe. The propellants mix with the air and they are not made to be sprayed onto something that will be eaten. Also, the contents can produce a freezing spray and that can damage the fondant.

Wiping the cake with some grain alcohol or vodka does nicely, but I also choose to roll on a bit of crisco and avoid the issue all together.

HTH
Rae

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:00am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I don't use ps or cornstarch. I rub a thin film of veg shortening on the coutner and roll out the fondant. Way easier, and your fondant won't dry out.

for a fondant bow, does the drying time differ when we use shortening to roll the fondant as opposed to using the PS?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:04am
post #12 of 18

No, drying time isn't affected.

Rae

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:06am
post #13 of 18

thanks Rae!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:20am
post #14 of 18

The only reason I don't roll out small things with crisco is that I don't like the slightly shiny look it gives. I do use it when I'm rolling out the cake covering, but for smaller stuff I really prefer cornstarch.

I use MMF...when you roll other fondants with crisco, do you get a slightly shiny finish?

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:17pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks everyone for your great ideas! I will do some experimenting.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 18

I definitely use a spray of vodka all over the surface. It leaves it totally brighter and shiny in some instances. The vodka evaporates but if you are opposed to using a liquor use a clear pure extract. The alchohol in it does the same thing. You will be very pleased with the result no matter which you choose to use. And yes, Duff recommended spraying it with vodka and you see them do it all the time.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:51am
post #17 of 18

I too use only a thin coating of shortening on my mat - no cornstarch, no powdered sugar. The fondant doesn't dry out or crack when putting it on the cake.

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:12am
post #18 of 18

Spray it with vodka using your airbrush.

Minette
www.minetterushing.typepad.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%