Cupcake Bouquet Experts-Help Pls!

Decorating By olana11 Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 4:41am by deliciously_decadent

olana11 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 8

I know this is a redundant question/topic but I seemed to have no luck searching the forums for this info. What I am looking for is basic instructions for assembling cupcake bouquets as well as tips and tricks. I remember way back when reading briefly about people having problems keeping the cupcakes on the toothpicks etc. School is tsarting in a few weeks here and I'd like to make some for my kids' teachers.

Any help is GREATLY sppreciated!!! icon_cry.gificon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
mclaren Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:58am
post #2 of 8

ok, i've only done 1 cupcake bouquet before, & somehow it was successful.

how i did it was, i put some pebbles (to have some weight for stability) in the flower pot (i used a cheap plastic pot), put a foam on top of the pebbles, make sure the foam is tightly fitted in the pot.
since i couldn't find any foam ball here, i used a square foam, & cut a hemisphere out of some foam & attached that to the other foam already in the pot.

how i attach the cupcakes was by sticking the bamboo skewer (sharp side up) into the foam, & piercing the skewer into the bottom of the cupcake liner and into the cake itself, but make it so that the skewer doesn't come out visible on the surface of the cake.
don't stick the skewer rightly in the middle of the circle (bottom of the liner), but slightly toward the top.
i repeat this process for each cupcake, and after i've completed attaching all the cupcakes onto the foam, then only i pipe rosettes onto each cuppy. and add some leaves later on.
i didn't have problem cupcakes falling off from the skewers, or icing sliding off the cake.
btw, i used value pride (the equiv of bettercreme, but cheaper, also manufactured by rich) to pipe the rosettes.

HTH. .....

olana11 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:29am
post #3 of 8

Yes, that DOES help a lot!!! thumbs_up.gif Thank you. One silly question though,.... does the cupcake end up resting directly ON the foam or is it suspended on the skewer? icon_redface.gif Thank u so much for your reply icon_biggrin.gif

mclaren Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:37am
post #4 of 8

olana11, i made sure all my cupcakes rested directly on the foam, i think that added up to the stability.

oh btw, the skewers... the part that are protruding out from the foam, just make sure they are about the same height as the cupcakes.

cupcakemkr Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 8

I also think that the bottom row of cc's should be resting on the pot for support. Melvira likes to add a small bead of bc on the bottom of her cc wrapper to help the cc's stick to the foam.

deliciously_decadent Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 8

I have made many of these and the trick to keeping them on is to pack them in tightly. i pipe the icing refrigerate until set. while i am waiting i put toothpicks in my polystyrene ball, then starting from the top moving the toothpicks if necessary so that they are in the top half of the cake so that gravity keeps them where they are meant to be while you work. then i make sure they are all very snuggly fit. i then fill any gaps with tissue paper and wrap the outside in tissue to look like a flower boquet. hope this helped. oh if i had real trouble getting them to stay i would put a dob of BC under each cake to keep them in place

hallfamily727 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:29am
post #7 of 8

I'm so glad I found this topic! On average, how many cupcakes do you put per bouquet? Say...for an average size flower pot/holder?

deliciously_decadent Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:41am
post #8 of 8

small i do 12 medium is 18 and large is 24 (large i do in baskets though)

Quote by @%username% on %date%