Leaving My Cookies At Bakeries

Baking By sugarinspired Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 5:29am by dandelion56602

sugarinspired Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #1 of 7

I'm thinking of going to stores and ask if i can leave my cookies there and each one that is sold will get a percentage. How would i approach them?

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:39am
post #2 of 7

First, is your business licensed?

Leaving cookies for sale would be consignment sales. There are many problems with that.

no controls
lots of potential waste
liability for the bakery

just doesn't sound like a very good idea.

maryak Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:39am
post #3 of 7

Maybe tell them that you're a cake decorator who's just starting out and ask if it would be ok to leave some there and advise them of how much they would get.

yankeegal Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 7

I think it is fine to give samples to anyone if you are licensed-but most stores will only buy wholesale.

1234me Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 7

I may be confused about what you are talking about but why would a bakery want to sell your baked goods? That would take away from their profit of selling other items they are getting a higher percentage off of!

kneadacookie Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 7

when i first worked at a local bakery, i won the detroit free press cookie contest. when the bakery found out, they wanted a piece of the action. they offered me "my own cookie department", but they didn't want to give me any extra hours or $$$. so, obviously, i turned them down saying i really wanted to have my own business someday soon. within a few months i found a leagl kitchen to rent and quit. i hadn't even gotten my last check, and they had a massive cookie order come in for a bat mitzvah. they asked if i wanted to do them and they would wholesale. before that order was even finished, they asked if i wanted to wholesale my cookies through them.
i think some bakeries may want to sell your items, if it's something they don't or even can't do. it is just one more item that they can offer to their customers. i wouldn't give them the cookies on consignment though. at the end of 2 or 3 weeks, what are you going to do with the leftover cookies?? and what happens if they don't sell, but are damaged, or just missing?? to get your foot in the door, you could offer a lower introductory wholesale price. i also sent in samples for them to pass out, to get the word out that they would be carrying my cookies. that helped a ton!!!!
good luck

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:29am
post #7 of 7

I too think I would just ask if they would want to buy at x price & sell them for what ever they wanted, but that you would want your name advertised as providing the cookies.

Have you thought about deli's or coffee houses? There are local ones here that buy from people & sell them in their stores. A new deli/bakery opened & dh wants me to ask if they would be interested in buying cakes/cookies to sell. You should see how much they make (for lunch) & for desserts. Pretty sure the poor lady is going to be working herself to death if she's the only one baking. Sometimes people get in over their head & if they don't sell as many of one item they may be willing to purchase to sell if they can profit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%