Purse Cake

Decorating By Gatorfan01 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm by KKC

Gatorfan01 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 7

My best friend's birthday is next week. She loves her Dooney & Burke purses so I thought I'd try and do a purse cake for her birthday. I've read the tutorial here on CC several times. I've browsed all the photos in the gallery of purse cakes. I'm still unsure of how exactly to do this cake.

If I remember correctly someone posted awhile back that she baked rounds and cut them in half to form her purse. The tutorial shows a "sheet cake" cut in thirds. What is the best method? I've never done a sculpted cake before so not sure I can do the carving required as the tutorial shows.

I'm excited and nervous about doing this cake because a bunch of us are throwing her a surprise birthday party. icon_lol.gif

Can anyone walk this "dummy" thru doing a purse cake? icon_wink.gif

6 replies
mouse13 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #2 of 7

I would think you would use round cakes cut in half. That way it has the small part on top of the cake and big on bottom. Good luck.

doublecz1103 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 7
KKC Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:41am
post #4 of 7

I actually made my 1st dooney & burke purse. I used 4 6inch cake rounds and carved a little off the bottom and stuck a dowel thru them. I found this worked good because I didn't have to do that much carving. I also made a Chanel Purse and I used 3 oval shaped pans and stacked them...that was easy also, as I didn't have to do a thing but stack, frost and design.

Gatorfan01 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:30am
post #5 of 7

Kivia, do you remember how many dowels you used? Your DB purse looks great!

angelcakes5 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:59am
post #6 of 7

I have jsut made small purses. Usually the sheet cake cut into 3rd or even just stacking simple square cake. Its very east to cut and scuplt cakes. I always get so nervous and then it comes out so simple. Good luck!

KKC Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 7

Gatorfan01 thanks for the compliment, I used 2 dowels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%