Dont You Guys Box Your Cakes?

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 6:20am by Chef_Stef

loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 16

I keep reading about people who had cakes sitting in the back of their car/van, etc and the tiers slid down onto the seat or onto another cake or onto their cat that was napping....etc etc.

When I deliver a cake, I use these large boxes (I bought mine from bakery craft) that will hold a three tiered cake with no problem. They have a round circle cut (or you can get a square circle) to stop the cake from moving around. I have also placed no skid stuff in there to help even more. There is a lid and the box is pretty stiff. I can put a cake fresh from the fridge in there and it will stay fairly cool while I travel. If I have other cakes in the car and if (hasn't happened yet) a cake should shift,it won't damage another cake, it will stay contained in the box. I also line my car with egg crate to obsorb all shocks.

I am just surprised how many posts I have read where the cake wasn't boxed. Am I alone in doing this? I sure love it!!! (I use the same box over and over again..the sides are cut out and drop down, being held up with velcro)

15 replies
alanahodgson Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 16

Do you use those boxes that cost like $25.00 each? Can you show us what you use?

loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 16

yes! But I use them over and over again....I have one that I have used probably about 100 times and it is still in great shape! I can take a photo of how I have modified it if that helps!

EmilyGrace Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 16

I have never heard of a box like that, sounds pretty cool. I always deliver each tier in a seperate box and set up on site. Don't want to risk traveling with it stacked! Where do you get these boxes from?

alanahodgson Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:00am
post #5 of 16

yeah! we wanna see!

loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #6 of 16

Here are photos on how I modified this box. This one I have been using for deliveries for over 3 years now...I recently retired it becuse it was getting a little beat up. Got my 25 dollars worth 10 x over...

(I use SPS and deliver most of my cakes stacked)
LL
LL
LL
LL

alanahodgson Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:34am
post #7 of 16

lorimoms,

Thanks so much for the tips. I might have to invest in one of those boxes. I'm just getting into wedding cakes but, would hate to deliver in the rain w/o a box!

loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:39am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

lorimoms,

Thanks so much for the tips. I might have to invest in one of those boxes. I'm just getting into wedding cakes but, would hate to deliver in the rain w/o a box!

Tell me about it! Rain on fondant is like acid!!

I have also lent this box to brides and large cake pickups...people love them, because it balances the weight too.

I have like five of them I Have modified (they make small ones too for two tiered cakes)

tiggy2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #9 of 16

Where did you get those boxes?

loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:33am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Where did you get those boxes?

I got mine from bakery crafts. Decopac also makes very similiar ones.

snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #11 of 16

Super clever - with that non-skid insert and the SPS your cakes would probably survive even the potholes on my road! Thanks for sharing.

alvarezmom Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 16

loriemoms-

What are the demensions of the box?

loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 16

The box is 22x22x16. I also have these extenders that make the box a little higher, but most three tiers fit with no problem.

They are ds-4a from bakery craft..

loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Super clever - with that non-skid insert and the SPS your cakes would probably survive even the potholes on my road! Thanks for sharing.

It has survived being pushed in a cart over brick fancy hotel entries..you know what I mean? I HATE those things!!!

Tashablueyes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:36am
post #15 of 16

So where do you get these magical boxes?

Chef_Stef Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:20am
post #16 of 16

I box every cake, every time.

I get single tier boxes at Michaels for small cakes or single tiers, and cube boxes to fit any stacked tiered cake at The UPS Store for like $6.00-7.00. I don't reuse the box; it gets left at the venue for 'whatever' after the reception.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%