Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe??

Baking By Dorene Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:25am by cherrycakes

Dorene Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have a good poppy seed cake recipe for an 8" wedding cake? Most of the ones I've seen are for bundt cakes.

4 replies
sadiepix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 5

Well, any cake that calls for a bundt cake pan can be made in any type of pan. Bundt is just the pan, not the cake-type.

You might have to use more than one pan as a recipe meant to be put in a bundt pan will usually be more than is needed for a single 8". But who does not like extra cake!? icon_smile.gif

Also, most lemon cake recipes can just have poppyseeds added to them if you prefer one of your lemon recipes.

Sounds yummy!

CocoaBlondie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:22am
post #3 of 5

The cake mix doctor has an easy lemon poppy seed cake recipe.

CocoaBlondie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #4 of 5

1-box white cake mix
1-pkg. vanilla instant pudding mix
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1-Cup lowfat vanilla or lemon yogurt
1/2 Cup veg. oil
1/2 Cup buttermilk
4 large eggs
2-Tbs lemon juice
1-tsp. lemon zest

cherrycakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #5 of 5

I just made this cake for my dad's birthday - it has been declared our favorite cake! The recipe says to put it in a bundt pan but I did it as a two layer 8" and didn't have any leftover batter.

1 Lemon cake mix
1 Instant lemon pudding mix, 4 serving size
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup water
1/4 cup poppy seeds

Mix together for 30 seconds on low, mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 for 38 minutes.

The icing that goes with it the best is:

Caramel Icing

1/2 cup, packed, brown sugar
3 tbsp. cream
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups icing sugar

Heat brown sugar, cream and butter until it boils. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Beat in icing sugar until smooth. May need to add more cream or sugar until right icing consistency. I made 1 1/2 recipes for the 8" cake and used some icing in between the layers.

This icing with the cake is to-die-for but the icing isn't the greatest for a perfect looking cake. It crusts very quickly and can slid easily off the cake. It's also obviously, caramel-coloured!

Quote by @%username% on %date%