American/canadian Cake Design Help!

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm by EmilyGrace

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 14

My friend from high school (who is Canadian) is getting married in a few weeks to an American girl. The wedding is in the states and they are serving ice cream cake but have asked me to design and make a dummy cake to sit out at the reception. But... I'm having trouble working with her colors!
Here's the scoop:
She would like the two flags represented somehow (i'm thinking as a topper). Her main colors are red and white and they are having some lime green accents and she would also like blue to incorperate the American flag colors. Lots of color! She sent me a few pictures from The Knot of cakes she liked. The one below is one of her faves and incorporates most the colors nicely (I like the addition of the purple to tie the red and blue together). The other pictures she sent me were mostly striped cakes. So I've come up with the design below (the colors are a little muted due to scanning) and then will make an American and Canadian flag as the topper.
What do you think? To much color? To crazy? To country looking? Any other ideas on how to incorporate all these colors would be great!
Thanks!
(there is a green vine conecting the flowers in the 2nd and 4th tier that you can't see due to scanning!)
LL
LL

13 replies
EmilyGrace Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 14

Anyone?

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 14

Yeah, another Canadian baker, someone from British Columbia to boot. Would love to chat with you about cake stuff sometime.

I think that your cake design is really pretty. She has given you lots of colours and themes to work into this cake. You have made it look classy and not some souvenir shop nightmare. Maybe for the leaves around your flowers you could use a small maple leaf cutter. It would be subtle but there. Good luck and let us know what happens.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 14

I think that this cake design could work very nicely with your request.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=50719

I think that I would switch it so that the stripes (likely red) are on the bottom of each tier and white above. Then you could add in the garlands of flowers along the seam.

I agree the topper incorporating the flags - perhaps bride and groom figurines standing ontop of a heart, each half of the heart painted with half of each flag?

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 14

i like your cake design. It doesn't look like a patriotic 4th of July cake. It looks very classy.
I know what you mean about color.
I had to do a bat mitvah cake this weekend and the colors that the mom picked were fucia, teal, white, yellow and brown. YUCK!!! I worked with them as best I could. I thought it was the worst looking cake I have ever done, but the mom and all the guests loved it.
your design is beautiful. I showed the mom what the cake was going to look like before I had made it and she was thrilled with it. So maybe you can show your sketch to the bride and see what she thinks.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 14

If the bride has any taste at all she'll pick your design over "The Knot", looks sooo much better. Good Luck!

EmilyGrace Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 14

Yah, I really wanted to stay away from the patriotic look, I think just leaving that to the toppers would be best! I will definatley show the bride the sketch, I just wanted to check with you guys first and make sure it wasn't awful! I have a couple more ideas too, so maybe i'll scetch those out and send them all her way at let her decide.

I like that cake dinas27, it could totally work! Thanks for the pic.

Sugarplumfairycanada, nice to meet you! We can definatley chat sometime! I like the maple leaf idea... I have a set so I'll just have to see if one of them is small enough!

Emily

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 14

i think your design looks great. just as a side note, i have seen tattoos of a canadian maple leaf that has the american flag on the inside of it, instead of red...hope this makes sense. don't know if you can use that, but there it is!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 14

I really love your design, it is so much better than the photo one.

The only thing that I might change the bottom tier. What was I thinking is that i could not see a the canadian flag that much in the cake

So, here is my thought a red band around the top and bottom of one the striped cakes and red maple leaves in between them.
I hope that makes sence.

EmilyGrace Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 14

Well the couple ended up changing their minds about the US and Canadian flag topper so I did up a few more sketches but they went with the original sketch anyway. The colors are pretty bright but it went well with the wedding colors. Here's a picture...
Thanks for your help everyone!
LL

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 14

Wow, great job! It looks exactly like your sketch. I bet the wedding couple was very happy. You are very talented. I'll pm you soon to talk about cake stuff, supplies, etc.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 14

very nice work.
your cake came out beautiful.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #13 of 14

That cake came out really really nice! You did a wonderful job. I am sure the bride and groom were very pleased.

EmilyGrace Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you all! I think they liked it... they seemed too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%