Could Someone Please Take A Look At My Website?

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm by lamariposa

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 17

I am building a new web site from scratch instead of using a template.

There is an awesome girl from CC helping me out with it, but I don't want to bug her as she is on vacation right now!

My website is at http://www.freewebs.com/cakesbydai

(I will be moving it to www.cakesbydai.com)

Anyway - I have two questions...

1. Why is the lettering "fuzzy" on the site? When I look at it in another program it looks clean & crisp, but when I look at it on the site it seems fuzzy.

2. The only working link right now is "weddings" under "gallery." If you click on that & look/scroll down, you'll see that "gallery" and "weddings" is missing (like how it is on the main page). Does anyone know why that is happening? It's like half of it is gone? icon_confused.gif

If anyone can help me with either of these problems I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

16 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 17

I don't know if I can really help with the specifics, but can only offer a few suggestions.
I would shift the picture of the wedding cake over and put the Gallery and pricing info over to the side. That way you wouldn't have to scroll down to see the entire page. I think that, especially for the main page, you shouldn't have to scroll down. It would look more professional.
I like the font, but you might want to try and new one and see if it fixes your "disappearing words" problem. I only work in Front Page and sometimes that will cure a weird little problem like that.

I hope you get things up and going. It's looking good so far!

Jodie

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 17

that is so weird because it looks so cute to me..the lettering looks fine and all thoe wording is there! very cute cakes btw!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 17

I really like it as is so far, and I'm picky!

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 17

Hi I use freewebs.com also however Iam not sure how to do one from scratch. What I do see looks good when your done maybe you can help me with mine I don't like mine and would love to change it I don't understand computers or software sorry I could not be of much help Le'Ann

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 17

I went into the site you have moved to & everything was lovely. Well done & your cakes are so good.

nthlgmz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nthlgmz Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 17

I think it looks great

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 17

Looks good so far!! No fuzzy pics or anything of that nature on my end. I look forward to seeing it all completed.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 17

It's very pretty, hon. I saw the problems you mentioned, but once you have those resolved, it's going to be lovely.

My only comment is that the larger photos loaded very slowly, perhaps that will be resolved when you move to your own site.

But, really nice site!!

Tanja

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 17

It looked really nice and neat to me. I liked it.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 17

I went to school for graphic design and computer art. The first thing our web design teacher told us was that if she goes to a website and has to click to "get in" or scroll to find what she is looking for on the opening page....then she won't continue on! "If you want me to look at your website and find information....then you had better put it where I don't have to waste my time looking for it!!!!"

With that said, I would go with JodieF.....make it so that on the very first page, you don't have to scroll to find stuff. Other pages are different and follow different rules (you expect to have to scroll for stuff...just not on the opening page), but the first page you see can give a MAJOR impression on even the littlest things (your personal organization skills, personality, etc.)

HTH
Teresa

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #12 of 17

Beautiful cakes! I like the fonts, hoever, on my computer they look a little fuzzy. It maybe my screene resolution also it could be the same with yours too. As armywifebryan said, it's best not to scroll. I almost miss the stuff at the bottom of the screen.

Good luck

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:50am
post #13 of 17

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I appreciate it!

I have decided not to continue working on the web site from scratch. It's taking too much time - time that I don't have right now. I'm just going to wait 'til I have enough money to do what I really want to do. This look just isn't cutting it for me!

Thanks again! And I'll be sure to let you all know when I have a nicer, new web site up! (Hopefully it won't be too long!)

cakebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebabe Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 17

Just a quick thought for you. When you do have your website done it is nice to have a return to gallery button on the page, so that you don't have to back button through all of the cakes you've previouly viewed. BTW, I really like to font and the simple look of your site.
Good Luck!

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 17

Love your webstie and cakes, nicely done. I didn't realize you live in MA.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:03pm
post #16 of 17

The lettering doesn't look fuzzy at all to me. I'm with JodieF on moving your menu to the side so you don't have to scroll all the way down. It would make it more visually appealing in my opinion.

Your cakes are gorgeous! My favorite is the Paisley...good luck with your site!

lamariposa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamariposa Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #17 of 17

If the wording looks fuzzy to you, it may be how your browser shows the picture in the format that you are using and the program you saved it in. A lot of times I use .png because the quality is a little better the .jpg or .gif. My screen loads it ok.

If you don't like building a site from scratch but also do not like to use templates, try frontpage or any or HTML builder. If allows for more customization. I would also be willing to help you out. Below are sites I am currently working on. I am a table fanatic but can do simple and elegant.

http://www.aplausos.us/
http://www.1206designs.com (just uploaded layout and the site is still int he premature phase)
http://www.sampson.k12.nc.us/Countypage/Technology/Uhit/kt/ (takes a while to load because I was too lazy to hack up the image into smaller pieces but it is only for student resources)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%