Almond Flavor Question

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 12:35am by snowshoe1

ThreeDGirlie Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 5

In using almond extract in my baking - cakes, cookies and frotings - I have always used pure almonnd extract. I find that it gives a better flavor.

When I take these baked goods to things like my mom's group, or send them with DH to work, should i make sure i label them that they ocntain nut priducts? Just wondering if I am worrying for nothing, or anybody takes an extra step to make sure people with nut allergies know what's in there...

Please don't make too much fun of me for being paranoid. icon_redface.gif

4 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 5

I think most people with nut allergies would not eat a cake they don't know what the ingredients are. But you make a good point, I think I'll start putting a little label on items I give out if I don't know everyone who will be eating it - e.g. cakes I might bring into work.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

I never thought about it before, but I have a friend that was coming over for lunch at my house and told me "nuts don't agree with me, so if I have a question, I won't eat it"...

I would guess that everyone with nut allergies is like that, but what if they thought "It's cake, it's harmless", KWIM?

I am so paranoid. I guess imitation almond would get around that issue, but I don't want to sacrifice the flavor on my tried and true recipes.

loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 5

I would label them if you are nervous about it. Nuts leave oils behind and if you have any traces of oils on your pans, you can pass these on to a servere sufferer. Also, many cake mixes have nuts in them from processing and even some flours!

snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I would label them if you are nervous about it. Nuts leave oils behind and if you have any traces of oils on your pans, you can pass these on to a servere sufferer. Also, many cake mixes have nuts in them from processing and even some flours!

Some flours have nuts in them? Is it listed on the bag if this is the case - wow that's scary. Also, is there anyway to remove the nut oils from your pans and bowls (e.g. if you soak in vinegar and/or bleach)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%