How Far Will A Cake Travel??

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 2:33am by briannastreats

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 6

one of my regular customers wants a stacked cake, say 10" and 6" square to travel with them to a resort about 4-5 hours away. it would be chocolate fondant covered with some decorations on the side and on the top. they are going to an upscale place and it really needs to a centerpiece for the husband's 50th birthday....a roast and toast.

if we secure it in their suv so the box it's in cannot slide around, do you think it's safe to do it? do you have any suggestions for keeping it safe during the trip?

OH! and this too, they want to pick up the cake on a thursday and won't be eating until saturday. i wish they'd just order something from the resort but they want me to do it; i guess i should be flattered. will it stay fresh???

thanks!
ashley

5 replies
fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 6

Now, that a toughie! I would love to know the answers to these questions too since I might be asked to make my BIL wedding cake, but the dang wedding's in North Carolina (about 14 hours away!)!

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 6

yes, i almost wish they would just order the cake from the resort. i'm sure there's a pastry chef and it would be really easy.

i'm interested to hear what others think about this.

ashley

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #4 of 6

Hi Ashley!

Wow... That is tough. I do not have experience with baking a cake that far in advance, so as far as freshness, I don't think it'll be as fresh as if you baked Thursday, decorated Friday and delivered on Saturday. (Which I guess is obvious, so don't anyone give me a big "duh"! icon_rolleyes.gif ) But I have heard from some others that fondant covered cakes (with non-perishable fillings) tend to stay fresher way longer than if iced with buttercream. I never tested this theory, so don't hold me to it! Also I think it depends on the cake recipe too, the moistness of it and its' dendancy to dry out. So, you might actually be okay with this part of it!

I would be concerned with their transporting it, for two reasons: [1] Will the cake be able to stay cool or will it get too warm (depending on where it is in the SUV)? If it gets too warm, I think there would be concern not only for possible spoilage but also the possibility of the cake shifting within the secured box, just from everything getting "softer". [2] Those of us who do cakes know how we have to drive to get them safely from point A to point B, even if they are properly stacked & supported and secured in the vehicle. If they intend to drive it that far, I'd really really REALLY stress to them just how careful they have to drive and make sure they understand it, to ensure that it arrives at the destination as beautiful as when they picked it up from you.

Side note: While delivering my sister's wedding cake that was 3 stacked layers, my husband said it was the longest, most stressful ride OF HIS LIFE!... And we only had to drive about 4 blocks. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Anyway, I think I would also make sure they sign an acceptance/release when they pick it up. I would like to see what others have to say, too. I'm sure among all of us CC-ers, there are those who've been in your same position.

But the bottom line, whatever you decide, is that I think it says a lot for how much they think of you and your talent that they want you to do this cake that has to travel so far for such a special event! thumbs_up.gif Best wishes!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #5 of 6

It should be fine if: You use a good support system (sps), the cake is transported on a level surface on non skid mat, vehicle is air conditioned at all time during transport, they drive carefully, the cake is constructed properly (leveled, use a dam, let settle, crumb coat, let crust, apply butter cream & smooth, refrigerate, apply fondant, etc).

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #6 of 6

Just as tiggy said, it should be fine.

I had to do that with the twins' bathtub baby shower cake in my photos. However, I was able to take it in seperate boxes, rather than stacked. But if you use a good support system and it stays well chilled, it should be fine. (mine I had to bake Wed, decorate Thurs, work and drive Fri, then we finally had the shower on Sat. - it tasted moist still and nobody believed me that it had been baked on Wed)

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%