Need Help On Quilting Pattern

Decorating By junny629 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 6:11am by junny629

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I just got a request for a cake for a friend that needs the diamond quilting pattern for next weekend. I don't have an impression mat, and I doubt one will get in on time as I live overseas. So what are the other tricks you guys use to make the quilting pattern on a cake?

Thank you for your time.

June

3 replies
maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:12am
post #2 of 4

Use a ruler to mark out the lines for the diamonds and then press the ruler or the side of a thin paint brush or chopstick in along your markings. Someone else will probably have other better ways, but that's how I do it.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #3 of 4

Use a right triangle as a guide (cut it out of something like manila folder that's flexible, but not too floppy). Use a wheel and trace the angle at even intervals around the cake. Flip the triangle the other way and go back around. This way, you can make the pattern as small or large as you wish. My favorite way of measuring the intervals is to cut a piece of string to fit around my cake, and use a ruler to mark the intervals on the string. Lay it back around the base of the cake and line the triangle up with each mark as you move around.

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:11am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for both your suggestions. Guess I will have some measuring and markings to do.

PinkZiab, will it work to make out a whole diamond with paper instead of a triangle? Just wondering if that will save some work. =)

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%