How Do You Cut Your 3D Cake?

Decorating By EnjoyTheCake Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm by indydebi

EnjoyTheCake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 8

Especially I'm curious about how to cut the large 3D wilton bear. or anything that is considered a 3D cake. The sports ball for example. The 3D lamb, bunny, house, santa, snowman.

Basically how do you cut these?

Thanks in advance.

7 replies
 maryak  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:14am
post #2 of 8

The sports balls are actually made in a sports ball tin from Wilton. The bears are as well. In regards to carving I just make sure that my cakes are chilled enough after coating them in BC and then have either a drawing in front of me and start carving free hand.

KKC  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryak

The sports balls are actually made in a sports ball tin from Wilton. The bears are as well. In regards to carving I just make sure that my cakes are chilled enough after coating them in BC and then have either a drawing in front of me and start carving free hand.

I think she means how do you cut to serve?

When I made my 3D Winnie the Pooh cake I cut from the head horizontally.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 8

My apologies for not making my question more clear. I do mean how do you cut your 3d cakes to serve. Or better yet, how do you instruct your clients cut your 3d cakes for serving?

KKC  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 8

I instruct my clients to cut horizontally. Like the 3D bear I would cut from ear to ear first and then the wide pieces just cut them in half.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:37am
post #6 of 8

Thank you Kivia, I really appreciate your feedback. I haven't made one yet because I'm terrified of the mess and demolished cake once the first slice is made. Not to mention the whole decapitation image. icon_lol.gif

milissasmom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:55am
post #7 of 8

Each cake is different so it totally depends on the shape, size and design of the cake. I don't use the 3D pans, I carve mine free hand. So depending on the cake, I instruct my clients accordingly. Like with a bear or sitting object, I would srart at the top (head) and then work my way down.

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 8

I recently made a 3-D duck cake for a baby shower. Just told her "Whack his head off then split his body down the middle!" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%