How Do You Cut Your 3D Cake?

Decorating By EnjoyTheCake Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm by indydebi

EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 8

Especially I'm curious about how to cut the large 3D wilton bear. or anything that is considered a 3D cake. The sports ball for example. The 3D lamb, bunny, house, santa, snowman.

Basically how do you cut these?

Thanks in advance.

7 replies
maryak Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:14am
post #2 of 8

The sports balls are actually made in a sports ball tin from Wilton. The bears are as well. In regards to carving I just make sure that my cakes are chilled enough after coating them in BC and then have either a drawing in front of me and start carving free hand.

KKC Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryak

The sports balls are actually made in a sports ball tin from Wilton. The bears are as well. In regards to carving I just make sure that my cakes are chilled enough after coating them in BC and then have either a drawing in front of me and start carving free hand.

I think she means how do you cut to serve?

When I made my 3D Winnie the Pooh cake I cut from the head horizontally.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 8

My apologies for not making my question more clear. I do mean how do you cut your 3d cakes to serve. Or better yet, how do you instruct your clients cut your 3d cakes for serving?

KKC Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 8

I instruct my clients to cut horizontally. Like the 3D bear I would cut from ear to ear first and then the wide pieces just cut them in half.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:37am
post #6 of 8

Thank you Kivia, I really appreciate your feedback. I haven't made one yet because I'm terrified of the mess and demolished cake once the first slice is made. Not to mention the whole decapitation image. icon_lol.gif

milissasmom Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:55am
post #7 of 8

Each cake is different so it totally depends on the shape, size and design of the cake. I don't use the 3D pans, I carve mine free hand. So depending on the cake, I instruct my clients accordingly. Like with a bear or sitting object, I would srart at the top (head) and then work my way down.

indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 8

I recently made a 3-D duck cake for a baby shower. Just told her "Whack his head off then split his body down the middle!" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%