Have You Heard Of "clean Eating?"

Lounge By PattyLen Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 9:21pm by xstitcher

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 10

Our church is doing a Biggest Loser contest. The nutrition part is encouraging everyone to "eat clean". Basically, if God didn't make it, don't eat it. Having never watched Biggest Loser, I wasn't familiar with eating clean.

I did some research on the internet and it sure sounds healthy, lots of veggies, fruit, etc. Any one familiar with eating clean have any tips?

TIA!
PattyLen

9 replies
nattyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattyk Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 10

I watch the Biggest Loser, but never seen any mention of eating like this. Very interesting.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 10

Perhaps this is a referral to clean foods vs. unclean foods, like kosher vs. not. I don't know.

For health reasons, I've had to change my eating habits drastically in the last three and four months, and I'm so glad I did it. My skin cleared up, I lost weight, the age spots on my face even started to fade. Weird symptoms that I thought were psychological have cleared up, too. I had to go way beyond what I assume your church is doing because I couldn't have yeast or fungi or sugar. But I'm so glad I did it!

It's really not that hard to do when you stop and think it through. You can make this a really fun thing, a built-in excuse to try new foods and recipes, and seeing the changes in yourself when you stop eating processed foods is fascinating.

Good luck on your project!
Deanna

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 10

Clean eating involves not eating processed foods. I am currently reading "12 Steps to Raw Foods". Quite interesting!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 10

sounds like organic or natural foods- you can't go wrong with that!

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:20am
post #6 of 10

Yes I've heard of this, not in the same context though. It's basically eating veggies raw (and they taste great), not eating anything white such as white sugar, white flour, white pasta/rice, etc and instead eating rye bread or brown bread, wholewheat pasta/rice/flour. Things like that. I did it for a while and felt so good but then got back on the junk food van. icon_redface.gif

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacc01

Clean eating involves not eating processed foods. I am currently reading "12 Steps to Raw Foods". Quite interesting!

Ahhh... I knew there was a 12-step program for cake addicts. Problem is...I don't want to be cured. In fact, I wouldn't mind a big hunk of white wedding cake with almond flavored buttercream right now.

The best I can do is try to achieve some sort of balance between the good and evil foods out there. I'll munch a few raw carrots now and then so long as I can have a cake chaser.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 10

On the subject of raw veggies (which I just LUV!!!), I was doing some research on underactive thyroid (I have one) and read that some veggies should not be eaten raw ... they should be cooked (cauliflower and broccoli, to name 2). Again, this was advice for folks with underactive thyroids and I'm not yet sure if it's the home remedy opinion or medical advice .... still researching.

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 10

There's also an "Eat Clean Diet" by Tosca Reno..she's got cookbooks and rules and what not. Why not just eat healthy and exercise? (The correct number of grains, fruits & vegs, fats, protein, etc...)...Keep in mind that to lose 1 lbs. a week you need to cut back your daily caloric intake by 500.

My nutritionist showed me this wicked website www.eatracker.ca (it's Canadian, created by the Dieticians of Canada...i'm assuming the US has a similar website).

I just eat healthy and excercise...no diets, no nothing....If you are going to follow any type of rule follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time eat what you are supposed to... icon_lol.gif I do, however, eat as much organic food as I can. thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLen

Our church is doing a Biggest Loser contest. The nutrition part is encouraging everyone to "eat clean". Basically, if God didn't make it, don't eat it. Having never watched Biggest Loser, I wasn't familiar with eating clean.

I did some research on the internet and it sure sounds healthy, lots of veggies, fruit, etc. Any one familiar with eating clean have any tips?

TIA!
PattyLen

How about using this book:

"What Would Jesus Eat." It's a great book for learning how to eat clean and it will tell you all kinds of stuff about what you should and shouldn't eat. It also has a companion book that has recipes I think it's called "The What Would Jesus Eat Cookbook". There written by a MD. Maybe your local library has it and you could check it out???

I just checked out the What Would Jesus Eat" book on Amazon and it's pretty cheap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%