Cake Ball/truffle Pricing

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm by Elserj

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:55am
post #31 of 47

I'm so glad I saw this post!

I made some cake balls and they turned out great! My daughter turned 13 and we had them at her party. As the parents came to get the kids, I game them all some cake balls to try. Everyone loved them!

Well one parent called me and wanted some of my cookies for a baby shower. When I called to give her the price, she also wanted to add some cake balls!!!!! I really had no idea what to charge her. icon_redface.gif I am guilty of always feeling I am not worth what I should charge. I know, I know, I need a backbone!!!

Anyhoo, I came to look for prices and found this thread! I really thought no one would pay me so much for cake balls........ I WAS WRONG! I told her they would be $9.00 per dozen and she ordered 4 dozen!

I am so excited! I love you people. I could not live without yall!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #32 of 47

Here is mine - I charge $10 per dozen or $13 individually wrapped. The bummer is the wrapping takes FOREVER and a day, especially tying that little bow!

I bought the candy dipping thing but found it worked better with the regular old fork I always used. Then I drizzle with colored candy melts and brush with lustre dust to give them sparkle.
LL

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #33 of 47

I tried making cake balls with some extra cake I had from experimenting with recipes. How moist is it supposed to be? I did the recipe where you crumble up the cake, add chopped nuts, and then I used french vanilla coffee uncream. Is it supposed to be lightly packed together? Mine were almost like playdoh or, umm, squished up cake that was wet.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:35pm
post #34 of 47

CakeDiva73.. Thats a beautiful cake ball display !
Anyone know how long these will stay fresh,once they are dipped in chocolate ?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #35 of 47

ty icon_smile.gif Mine don't last too long since I have teenage boys but I left some on an out-of-sight tray at room temp for 4 days and when I went to throw them out, the boys grabbed them before I had a chance and ate them - said they tasted the same as the fresh. I have refridgerated them for several days and let them come to room temp in front of a fan to help with condensation and they were fine.

In that case, I leave the lustre dust for last so they are nice and sparkly. I usually prefer to do them fresh but that is not always possible. And I avoid them the like the plague in this heat because they never really set up and are a mess.

I haven't made them since the kids got out of school - I almost miss it!

fiddlesticks Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:00am
post #36 of 47

Thanks ! I asked because If you make a lot of them It seems like you need a day or so before you finish, With packaging and all.

cakemom55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom55 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:16am
post #37 of 47

Just jumping in.

I have been charging $10 a dozen as well.
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #38 of 47

Those look great !Ok how do you do yours ?? If you dont mind sharing ?
I tried cakeballs 1 time and they were so moist like a big glob and then I froze them to and it got worse. I havent tried again LOL!

cakemom55 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #39 of 47

Mine are actually too easy.

I haven't gotten too creative with recipes yet, but....

I use a full cake mix (cause I can't keep my husband out of leftover cake bits!), baked, crumbled, then mix in 1 full can of store bought frosting. With the German chocolate ones in the picture, I used 1 can of German Chocolate frosting and about a 1/2 can regular chocolate frosting. With some lemon ones I made, I used a whole can of lemon frosting and added some lemon filling in there to give it a little more punch.

After all that is good and mixed together (gotta get into it with your hands!), I let mine sit in the fridge for a couple of hours to set up a bit. Then, I use a mini-scoop to measure out the "dough" and hand roll it. I set the balls on a cookie sheet with waxed paper and put them in the freezer - the longer the better for me.

I usually take them out of the freezer a few at a time to work with them because they tend to thaw pretty quickly.

I have been using regular Almond Bark from the grocery store. I tried a few other recipes of mixing candy melts with different things, but all ended in disaster. So....I will stick with the almond bark.

For cake balls on a stick, I take a frozen one, put a lollipop stick into the bottom of it and dip it into the melted coating; let it drip a bit then quickly add sprinkles if needed (because they are frozen the bark sets very quickly!). For those not on a stick, I just use a fork to lower them into the coating.

I usually like to store mine in the fridge because my family likes them cold. But, they do just fine on the counter. NOTE: they do not like hot cars!!! Found that out the hard way!
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:23am
post #40 of 47

Oh I love the lemon ones ! I love the pale yellow color !Thanks so much for all the info, I guess I should try again !

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:44am
post #41 of 47

So it is actually supposed to end up looking/feeling like cookie dough?

cakemom55 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 5:10am
post #42 of 47

Not quite as firm as cookie dough, really.

OK...this is kind of gross, but....

My husband says the "dough" resembles already chewed up cake. Like I said, gross, but similar.

ugetsnun2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ugetsnun2 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:17pm
post #43 of 47

I kinda agree with your husband. I made some with the 1 can of frosting recipe and they were too moist inside for my taste. My 7 year old wouldn't even eat 'em because she said they were too sweet. Anyone have a recipe where their more cake like instead of gooey like inside???

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichic68

Hi all,
What about an order for a Cake Truffle Wedding Tower? Is that completely different pricing? Do you assemble the entire tower on site?

Thanks much for your answers!

I

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I plan to use my cupcake topiary for cake truffles as well; they are about the same size as mini cupcakes... here is the picture.. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1244701.html just attach the truffles instead of the cuppies..

shannon0407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon0407 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #45 of 47

Great timing on this post!! My daughter's preschool is doing an ocean theme for the next 4 weeks and I wanted to make those cute whale shaped cake balls I saw posted.... I'm not charging for them but it would be interesting to know how much you all would charge for something like that?.... Everyone who has posted pics of their cake balls have me wanting to jump in the kitchen and start making them now!!! icon_biggrin.gif

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm
post #46 of 47

I tried making cake balls once but they fell apart, after reading this thread I will have to try again.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #47 of 47

I know this is an old thread, but I have another question.

How do you not get a "skirt" of chocolate on the bottom of your truffles? Mine always have a layer of chocolate on the bottom, so they don't look completely smooth because of that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%