Substitute For Flower Nail

Decorating By sweettoothmom Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 9:39pm by sweettoothmom

sweettoothmom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 8

Oh dear lord NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I have two cakes to complete this week and they both require roses. Here is the problem, my flower nails are missing and without a replacement I dont know what I am going to do.

My area is very small and we have no where to obtain a replacement nail without driving 2 hours one way. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use to substitute for my flower nail?

Thank you all in advance!

7 replies
trichardson1229 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have a regular nail and a small piece of board to where you could fashion our own. Just use wax paper on the board.

DianeLM Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 8

You can poke a toothpick or skewer through a piece of cardboard, but not all the way through. Pull out the pick, add a drop of glue, then replace the pick. Use wax paper squares on the board.

Aliwis000 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 8

Can you use the stick method for making a rose?
Then you just need a wooden rod.

I also like the idea of making one of your own!

Anyone in your family live close to somewhere they can get one a ship it to you overnight, or order one online? So sorry to hear this, hope it turns out ok!

sweettoothmom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 8

Oh thank you for all the ideas. I need to get the flowers done today in order to complete the cakes as needed so ordering one is not an option.
You know how it goes the second I am finished making flowers the darned little nails will show up!!!
We remodeled our kitchen and dining room and I am afraid in the process some of my cake supplies might have been misplaced.

have_your_cake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 8

You could glue a large nail from the hardware store to something round (cardboard, a quarter etc) and make your own.

sweettoothmom Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 8

That is a good idea too. I thought about using a roofing nail. They have that large flat head but I dont need a box 1000. hee hee hee

sweettoothmom Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 8

I found a substitute. I forgot to post it earlier but basically we had an old metal knob that was round and has a dip in the center. The stem is almost two inches long and is large enough to be very comfortable to turn in your hand and feels sturdy. Thank you all for the input I love the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%