Best Doctored Red Velvet Recipe

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 4:13am by dandelion56602

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Everyone:

What's the best doctored Red Velvet recipe out there??

12 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 13

The MeeMaws or something like that recipe that is in the recipes here is VERY good!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of 13

I love my current recipe:

1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 box white chocolate (hard to find) or chocolate instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Hand mix all ingredients until incorporated and then mix on medium with a hand mixer for 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. Bake at 325 until a toothpick comes out clean.

The cake is tasty and sturdy. I often ice with a 50/50 mixture of homemade buttercream and canned cream cheese icing so that the cake can stay at room temp for long periods.

No flames or comments about my preferences, please---thanks. It's what I use, what I like, and is well received by those who eat it.

HTH
Rae

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of 13

a little off the subject, but have you noticed that too? The only white chocoalte pudding I can find these days is the sugar free stuff....why is that?

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of 13

Whoooo!!!! Sounds like what I have been looking for. Can't wait to try it.
Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #6 of 13

I'm looking forward to trying these recipes! Thanks for posting! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

a little off the subject, but have you noticed that too? The only white chocoalte pudding I can find these days is the sugar free stuff....why is that?

YES! And it frustrates the bejeepers out of me! I stock up on the regular white chocolate whenever I find it (not often) because I don't want to use the sugar-free (there are some people who can't tolerate the artificial sweeteners).

I have some "chocolate" extract that I've added in a pinch when I've had to add vanilla pudding, instead. It works great, but that's hard to find, too. The regular chocolate works very well, but I wouldn't use devil's food or chocolate fudge. You don't want to pump up the mild hint of chocolate in the cake!

Rae

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #8 of 13

i use the red velvet box stuff and add chocolate pudding... and add whatever the box tells me to add.. nothing else...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #9 of 13
Quote:

The MeeMaws or something like that recipe that is in the recipes here is VERY good!!!

Do you have a link to that recipe? I couldn't find it in a search.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #10 of 13
Quote:

i had the same problem when I went shopping- I could only find the sugarfree white chocolate...

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #11 of 13

You all are so lucky! They don't sell the dh red velvet cake mix at my local store.. icon_sad.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #12 of 13

I've never tried this, but I think you could get a very similar product using a German Chocolate or Milk Chocolate mix and adding 2 small bottles of regular food coloring (like the type you use for coloring Easter eggs). I'd cut back on the liquid in the recipe by about 2 TBSP.

Red velvet is just a very mildly chocolate flavored cake. Scratch recipes just have a small amount of cocoa powder in them.

Rae

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #13 of 13

The Cake Mix Doctor's is by far my favorite. No bitter taste & oh so moist & a beautiful dark red. Get rave reviews everytime.

Quick Red Velvet Cake

1 pkg German Chocolate Cake Mix W/ Pudding
1 C Sour Cream
1/2 C Water
1/4 C Vegetable Oil
1 oz bottle Red Food Color
3 Lg Eggs
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease & flour 2-- 9" cake pans.

Place ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Blend on low for 1 min. Stop & scrape down sides. Mix on medium for 2 to 3 min, until well blended. Divde batter into 2 pans & place in oven.

Bake until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger & they start to pull away from the sides--about 28-30 min. Remove from oven & cool on rack for 10 min. Run a dinner knife around each layer & invert onto rack. Allow to cool completely, about 30 min.

Store in a cake saver or covered in wax paper in the fridge for up to 1 week. Freeze wrapped in aluminum for up to 6 weeks. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. (of course this is w/ the cream cheese frosting)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%