Babarooskie Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #1 of

Hi Everyone:

What's the best doctored Red Velvet recipe out there??

12 replies
loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #2 of

The MeeMaws or something like that recipe that is in the recipes here is VERY good!!!

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of

I love my current recipe:

1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 box white chocolate (hard to find) or chocolate instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Hand mix all ingredients until incorporated and then mix on medium with a hand mixer for 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. Bake at 325 until a toothpick comes out clean.

The cake is tasty and sturdy. I often ice with a 50/50 mixture of homemade buttercream and canned cream cheese icing so that the cake can stay at room temp for long periods.

No flames or comments about my preferences, please---thanks. It's what I use, what I like, and is well received by those who eat it.

HTH
Rae

loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of

a little off the subject, but have you noticed that too? The only white chocoalte pudding I can find these days is the sugar free stuff....why is that?

korkyo Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of

Whoooo!!!! Sounds like what I have been looking for. Can't wait to try it.
Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #6 of

I'm looking forward to trying these recipes! Thanks for posting! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

a little off the subject, but have you noticed that too? The only white chocoalte pudding I can find these days is the sugar free stuff....why is that?

YES! And it frustrates the bejeepers out of me! I stock up on the regular white chocolate whenever I find it (not often) because I don't want to use the sugar-free (there are some people who can't tolerate the artificial sweeteners).

I have some "chocolate" extract that I've added in a pinch when I've had to add vanilla pudding, instead. It works great, but that's hard to find, too. The regular chocolate works very well, but I wouldn't use devil's food or chocolate fudge. You don't want to pump up the mild hint of chocolate in the cake!

Rae

pinklesley1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #8 of

i use the red velvet box stuff and add chocolate pudding... and add whatever the box tells me to add.. nothing else...

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #9 of
Quote:

The MeeMaws or something like that recipe that is in the recipes here is VERY good!!!

Do you have a link to that recipe? I couldn't find it in a search.

jennym0904 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
Quote:

i had the same problem when I went shopping- I could only find the sugarfree white chocolate...

Babarooskie Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:25am

You all are so lucky! They don't sell the dh red velvet cake mix at my local store.. icon_sad.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:44am

I've never tried this, but I think you could get a very similar product using a German Chocolate or Milk Chocolate mix and adding 2 small bottles of regular food coloring (like the type you use for coloring Easter eggs). I'd cut back on the liquid in the recipe by about 2 TBSP.

Red velvet is just a very mildly chocolate flavored cake. Scratch recipes just have a small amount of cocoa powder in them.

Rae

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:13am

The Cake Mix Doctor's is by far my favorite. No bitter taste & oh so moist & a beautiful dark red. Get rave reviews everytime.

Quick Red Velvet Cake

1 pkg German Chocolate Cake Mix W/ Pudding
1 C Sour Cream
1/2 C Water
1/4 C Vegetable Oil
1 oz bottle Red Food Color
3 Lg Eggs
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease & flour 2-- 9" cake pans.

Place ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Blend on low for 1 min. Stop & scrape down sides. Mix on medium for 2 to 3 min, until well blended. Divde batter into 2 pans & place in oven.

Bake until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger & they start to pull away from the sides--about 28-30 min. Remove from oven & cool on rack for 10 min. Run a dinner knife around each layer & invert onto rack. Allow to cool completely, about 30 min.

Store in a cake saver or covered in wax paper in the fridge for up to 1 week. Freeze wrapped in aluminum for up to 6 weeks. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. (of course this is w/ the cream cheese frosting)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%