How Do I Cover A Base In Fondant?

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm by wendy1273

ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 12

I made this cake over the weeekend, covered the base in fondant for the 1st time, and right after it was picked up, she told me the fondant on the base cracked and started coming off. What did I do wrong, why did this happen? I'm guessing it dried too much, I did the whole cake the night before, but what could I have don't differently?
LL

11 replies
wendy1273 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 12

Did you wrap the fondant on the bottom of the board?
What kind of Fondant did you use?

If you did you should not do that because you need to be able to hold it on the edges.

wendy1273 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 12
ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 12

I didn't wrapit under the bottom, just trimmed it from the sides like I do with a cake, oh and it was satin ice

wendy1273 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 12

Take a look a aine2 tutorial, maybe this can help, I'm sorry I don't have any more suggestions, maybe some else can help you better.

Good luck

Wendy

ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 12

ok, I watched the video and I think I see the problem. I did wrap the fondant around the edges of the board, not the bottom, but the sides, and everytime I tried to move it, I dented it or tore off little pieces, so I covered it with a ribbon. But next time, I'd just put it on the top and used the ribbon to cover the "naked" sides of the cake boards, right? I also didn't realize that you don't have to cover the entire cake board before the cake goes on, that's what I did. Why don't I just ask CCers before I do anything? icon_wink.gif

ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 12

btw, I was looking on Aine2's website after looking at that tutorial, I wish she would give classes in NY so I could go! I feel like a groupie when I look at her work, lol icon_lol.gif

wendy1273 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 12

Thats what I meant, if you wrap it on the sides not the bottom . Sorry my english is not so great.

I know exactly what you mean about Aine2, I love her too. Are you located in NY? I'm from NJ!!

Im looking into taking classes here but I'm still thinking about how expensive it is and I would have to stay in a hotel for 6 days because is 2 hours way from my home. http://www.wildflowersbylori.com/Course%20Curriculum.html

ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 12

wow, that's alot of money! But I keep saying I wish knew how to make all those sugar flowers and whatnot, I think I need to give up teaching and go to pastry school! icon_wink.gif

wendy1273 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 12

Oooh! You are a teacher!

It is a lot of money and that makes me nervous because I really don't have the money to spend on that but I was going to purchase something for my home and I decided to invest it on classes, I left my job a few month ago and I'm doing baking full time now.

My dream is to open my own place some day.

ladybuglau Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 12

I dream of the same thing, my neighborhood needs a cake shop! icon_biggrin.gif

wendy1273 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 12

My neighborhood too.

Some day icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%