The Dark Knight...too Dark

Lounge By Aliwis000 Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 4:27am by MamaBerry

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 21

Okay I know that the new batman movie is really pulling in the money, and that a lot of people have/are gone/going to see it. And for those of you who havent seen it yet dont read on!

I didnt like it. Frankly it was TOO dark. I love a good action movie, car chases, bulidings blown up, stuff crashing, makes for a fun flick to me. However people being shot in the head and guns pointed at kids is not entertainment to me. The movie makers had such a great idea to work with, but they made it too sadistic, too over the top for me. I am not an overtly sensitive person at all, but after 2.5 hours of the same song and dance it got revolting.

Anyway I was just wondering what you guys thought. Am I being hormonal or was it a bit much?

20 replies
fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 21

That is what I heard.. But we will still see it. My 9 yr. old son wants to see it too. Probably people expected a more childish movie considering this is based on a comic book Super Hero character. We saw the previews.

thanks for sharing your reviews. icon_smile.gif

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:25am
post #3 of 21

If you read the comics/graphic novels you will see quite a lot of the dark stuff from several authors (not all) especially recently.

I thought it was awesome and really well done. But I like dark and creepy and am a comic geek! icon_smile.gif

Batman was never a really light "superhero" anyway, despite the old TV show and first cartoons. His parents were horribly murdered, and the killer pointed a gun at him as well etc. He has no powers, is just wealthy and smart and wants revenge as well as to help deter crime.

A 9 year old might get a little freaked out, depends on the kid though I bet.

Sorry you did not like it though!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:00am
post #4 of 21

I thought it was amazing, but I can definitely see your point. I agree with sadiepix, Batman is a dark hero. The tv series and original movie were kind of a joke IMO. Batman is my favorite! icon_smile.gif

I do think that this might be a bit much for a 9 yr old because of all the violence. However, kids these days aren't freaked out by much anymore, so who knows?! icon_rolleyes.gif

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Batman was never a really light "superhero" anyway, despite the old TV show and first cartoons. His parents were horribly murdered, and the killer pointed a gun at him as well etc. He has no powers, is just wealthy and smart and wants revenge as well as to help deter crime.

Exactly! I thought the movie was AMAZING. But I will say that the part with the child at the end got to me. (I think that's just because I have a one year old and am in the new-protective momma phase, lol)

But the rest of it? LOVED it. I was so glad to see the joker portrayed as the dark man that he was. Like my friend said- the joker was never supposed to be someone you wanted to hang out with on the weekends. He was MESSED UP. Heath did an AMAZING job.

So, no, I didn't think it was too dark, at all.

I was lmao at the magic trick...LOL.

Amia Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMo07

Heath did an AMAZING job.

So, no, I didn't think it was too dark, at all.

I was lmao at the magic trick...LOL.

Heath DID do an AMAZING job! I wonder if they will include the Joker in any future movies (if there are any) and who will portray him.. icon_confused.gif

The magic trick was awesome, I was lmao too! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 21

I heard one reviewer say that it should have been an R rating, not a PG-13. I'd like to see it, but I was wondering about taking my kids. Is it just violent or is it scary too? Not that violence isn't scary, but my kids don't seem to be bothered by the blowing up of things and more bothered by scary stuff instead.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 21

I have not seen it yet. That being said, I have read several reviews that mentioned that it really is not appropriate for kids under 13. Apparently there are a couple of scenes that are really violent (a pencil through an eyeball, is what I think I read about).

i would think twice before taking anyone younger than a teenager.

Amia Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 21

It's not scary like a horror movie, but it's disturbing in some parts. Maybe you should see it first, then decide if your children would be scared or not.

Amia Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I have not seen it yet. That being said, I have read several reviews that mentioned that it really is not appropriate for kids under 13. Apparently there are a couple of scenes that are really violent (a pencil through an eyeball, is what I think I read about).

i would think twice before taking anyone younger than a teenager.

The pencil in the eyeball is a split second scene and you don't really see it in the person. You see the pencil on the table and you see him slam someone's head into it and then the guy falls out of view. It's not really that bad, if you blinked you wouldn't even know what happened.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 21

Yeah, I would not compare it with a horror movie, but it is dark for kids. Seeing it first would be a good idea.

The violence/gore is a bit scaled back, and Batman does make an effort to not kill innocent people and prevent them dying in the hands of the bad guys, but compared to Batman Begins it has more death and scare overall (if you are younger than 13 or so).

From what I have been reading, the awesome performance by Ledger has the studio/future writers and Chris Noth saying at least for the next movie he will not be played by another character. Heath did too good a job and there are enough villains for Batman to fight/storylines to follow. I am glad for that.

Maybe for a kid the scariest parts would be when the Joker describes some things about his scars/talk about his parents etc, more than guns and explosions.

Great movie.

Chokogal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chokogal Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:54am
post #12 of 21

Yea, it was too dark to be rated PG because it may scare some little children, but that's batman. He's dark. Great movie regardless. The best ever!

The majic trick was greeeat! Oh I love heath, and I love him more as the joker. If anything they will be signing on Johnny Depp as the next joker. He will be great also.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #13 of 21

Dark Knight...Done Right! thumbs_up.gif

I Friggin' LOVED LOVED LOVED It! Heath was amazing but ALL of the actors were, too! I wished it was like in the old days when you could just stay in the theatre to see the flick again (they'd just clean up around you lol). I know I'm going to see it, again and Definitely buy it when it comes out. My kids (11 &13) were fine but I do not know about little kids going to see it.

My first chortle (no one else laughed, though icon_sad.gif ) was when one of the fake Batmans says to Christian Bale, "What makes you so different from us?" "I'm not wearing hockey pants...", replies The Batman! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:29am
post #14 of 21

Don't worry Lynda-Bob, I chortled too...and also seemed to be the only one. LOL

I saw it last night and LOVED it! Longer than I thought it would be (had no idea going on) but I was fine with it. It was bitter sweet to see Heath - he was an amazing actor. I admire how he completely immerses himself in his roles. I can't imagine anyone else playing that role right now. Maybe two-face isn't dead.

Another scene I was LOL at was the Joker dressed as the nurse. Especially when he was walking out of and away from the hospital. Those legs! icon_lol.gif

Hearing it, the pencil in the head thing does sound gory and dark but it came off sooooo funny.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:45am
post #15 of 21

We just went and saw it tonight and i really enjoyed it! It really wasn't as dark as i heard it was supposed to be. I would have taken my 11yo to see it actually. I think the worst part in the movie was seeing the DA after the "accident" while he was in the hospital and after, and when he had the kid. other then that it wasn't bad. Good action and it had a good story line. There really wasn't any "blatant" gore/violence that made you say... eeeewwwweeeee.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Another scene I was LOL at was the Joker dressed as the nurse. Especially when he was walking out of and away from the hospital. Those legs! icon_lol.gif

Yep Yep Yep icon_lol.gif I had forgotten about that! We all (my kids and neice) came out of there laughing about the little skip/ run dance in the nurse uniform thumbs_up.gif

-Lynda

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #17 of 21

We saw it yesterday on IMAX. WOW! If you can see it on an IMAX screen, it is soooooo worth it. I loved the movie and it was not too dark for me at all. There was just an overall sadness for me watching it though. I was really affected by Heath's sudden death, so that was a little hard for me to not think about through the movie. He did do a great job in his role. The nurse outfit/dance was so freakin' hilarious!!!! I'll definitely see this one again, and I don't go see movies but maybe twice a year, so that's saying something right there.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #18 of 21

I love this movie!!! The reason it was so "dark" was because it is based on the Frank Miller comics and not the other Batman movies.

People even thought the first Batman was dark, you know, the one directed by Tim Burton(he's a genius BTW), and Tim Burton so doesn't make dark movies...maybe it's just a matter of preference,

wait I feel like I'm drifting off topic

well, Batman is awesome, Heath was the best Joker ever and I can't wait til the third one!! icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:24am
post #19 of 21

Just saw the Dark Knight, and Heath Ledger was great as the Joker. (He really made my skin crawl!)
(And I thought Jack Nicolson was good, but this Joker is truly insane.)

I'm not a big Christian Bale fan, but the movie was excellent nonetheless. Didn't think it was "too dark" but the PG-13 rating is deserved.

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #20 of 21

I went to see it with my hubby and we absolutely loved it. I thought it was very well done and just and overall enjoyable film.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:27am
post #21 of 21

I loved the film except for the yahoo that decided to bring an annoying, talkative 9 y.o to see the film. UGH!

Other than that I felt the movie was a DSM-IV of psychological cases. icon_eek.gif The story delved deeper into the psyche of mankind instead of the surface b.s.

Health broke my heart each time I saw him on screen BUT I can say that if I was an actor and that was MY last performance I would be Darn proud of myself. Health really brought the character to life and made you understand him and realize that the only difference between us and the criminals is the choices we make under various circumstances. (Think of the ferry scene.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%